Pocopson Elementary School Families,
Please take a moment to review the Communications Packet, which is also found on our PES website.
News: In Our Building
1. Pocopson Elementary School Selected for Google Expeditions Pioneer Program
Pocopson Elementary School has been chosen to participate in the Google Expeditions Pioneer Program. On Monday, February 8th Google will be sending an Expeditions Team to Pocopson Elementary to lead 20 sessions of students, in grades second through fifth, in various virtual reality field trips. Students in grades second through fifth will participate in immersive, virtual reality journeys that bring topics they have been learning about in the classroom to life in a way never before possible. The team from the Pioneer Program will help teachers understand the process and provides them with materials, which include smartphones that fit into a Google Cardboard headset and a tablet for the teacher to guide the experience. The teacher selects a destination, and the entire classroom jumps there automatically. The Wildlife Conservation Society, PBS, the American Museum of Natural History, the Planetary Society, and the Palace of Versailles contributed to developing the curriculum for students. These trips are collections of virtual reality panoramas — 360° photo spheres, 3D images and video, ambient sounds — annotated with details, points of interest, and questions that make them easy to integrate into curriculum already used in schools. Click here to learn more about the Google Expeditions Pioneer Program.
2. Art and Garden 2016: Are you looking for a fun way to get involved in a parent led effort at PES? Plans for the annual PES Art & Garden Celebration are underway but it's not too late to join the team. This year the event will take place on Saturday, April 30. And we currently have committee roles open and welcome anyone looking to volunteer their skills and time and have some fun with our team. We'll find the right fit for what interests you. If you're ready to join us plan on attending our next meeting on Wednesday, February 24, at 9:00 am in the cafeteria and contact Steph Stanislawczyk and she'll tell you more. email@example.com
If you're new to PES, A&G is our Saturday Spring Fun Day at school that offers entertainment for the whole family; fun run, games, activities, demonstrations, concessions, craft & plant sales, and the silent auction.
3. February is Box Tops Collection Month for our spring contest. The winning class from each grade will get a pajama day and a movie! Please check the expiration dates and trim all your box tops. Put them in an envelope labeled with your child's teacher's name and send via backpack express by February 19th. The fall collection resulted in a final total of 10,300 regular box tops and 655 bonus/certificate box tops for a total of $1,095 for our school. Remember our school receives 10 cents for every box top collected!
4. PTO meeting: The next PTO meeting will be on Thursday, February 11th, at 9:30 am in the PES cafeteria. Come join us for our lockdown bucket filling party! All attendees will receive a complimentary PES water bottle.
5. It's almost time for Donut Days!!!! Tuesday, February 23rd through Thursday, February 25th
What a great way to start the day! Children may invite a parent or favorite person to school for a morning treat. Coffee, Milk, Juice, Apples and Donuts will be served from 7:45AM – 8:45 AM in the cafeteria. No pre-registration required. Just come on your assigned day! Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com with any questions.
After you enjoy a special treat, come browse our Fabulous Book Fair in the Gymnasium!
Tuesday, February 23rd last names beginning with A – H
Wednesday, February 24th last names beginning with I – P
Thursday, February 25th last names beginning with Q – Z
6. Feelin' Groovy Book Fair 2016…Peace, Love & Books! Book Fair! Coming Soon! Save the Date! Pocopson's Book Fair will be here February 19th-25th
Friday, February 19th - Set Up 9-12; Teacher/Staff Preview 12-4
Monday, February 22nd - Class Wish List Day (Grades K-3 only)- Open 8-4
Tuesday, February 23rd - Donut Day A-H, Class Purchase Day - Open 8-4
Wednesday, February 24th - Donut Day I-P, Class Purchase Day - Open 8-4
Thursday, February 25th - Donut Day Q-Z, Class Purchase Day - Open 8-12; Clean Up 12-3
Calling All Volunteers! Book Fair Volunteers Needed! Any hour you could give of your time would be great! Help your kids shop for books at the book fair. We will also need lots of help for Set Up, Clean Up & Donut Days! Please look at the Sign Up Genius link below to see if there is a time that works for you! Thanks in advance. Questions? Please contact Kelly Hoffmann firstname.lastname@example.org
All For Books: Your child's class could win a Disco Pizza Party!
Any donation welcome! Support our school library and charity! For every dollar we collect for our school library for the "All For Books" Program, Scholastic Book Fair donates one book to charity. Last year our school collected $988.00 for PES school library and Stonehurst's library plus Scholastic donated 988 books to charity! Donations can be made during the Book Fair at the cashier table or the kids can drop their loose change directly into their class jar located at the book fair. The class that has collected the most money by the end of the week will win a Disco Pizza Party!
Teacher Wish Lists: Attention Parents & Students… Don't forget to look for the Teacher Wish List Table while shopping at the book fair. This is a great opportunity to purchase a book for your child's classroom!
7. Pocopson Elementary School 2016 Variety Show - 4th and 5th Grade Students: Sign Up to perform your favorite act! Juggling, Music, Comedy, Singing, Dancing or a Skit! If you do not want to perform but would like to be an emcee or part of our Stage Crew please sign up! We need you!!
Please take a look at the following important dates:
- Registration forms due: Thursday, 2/11
- Music due: Thursday, 2/18
- Mandatory Rehearsal: Thursday, 2/25, 3:30-5:30
- Mandatory full dress rehearsal: Wednesday, 3/2, 3:30-5:30
- PES Variety Show: Friday, 3/4
We will need parent volunteers for the rehearsals on February, 25"' and March 2"' and for the show on March 4"'. A sign up genius will be sent out for parents to sign up! Thank you in advance for you time. Contacts: Jeanne Ricciuti e-mail: email@example.com Tara Sammaritano e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
8. Pocopson's PUBLISHING CENTER, THE PATRIOT PRESS is ONLINE & OPEN FOR BUSINESS!
Please visit the Patriot Press website for more Information & Application & book Template. You can find the Patriot Press at: pes.ucfsd.org (click on the Patriot Press logo: Quill pen)
The Pocopson Patriot Press is a publishing service for the students of Pocopson Elementary School. Each student may submit an original story to be printed and bound for the fee of $5.00 per child. One copy will be given back to the student and one copy will remain in the school library to be enjoyed by the entire student body. Principal Beaver reads every book and presents a Published Author Certificate to each student at an
Authors-Only Book Launch Donut Party! Patriot Press student-authors are listed in the Library card catalog system as published authors (students enjoy typing in their name to find their name listed with Dr. Seuss, Beverly Cleary and JK Rowling)! This is a very special program and unique to our school. The Patriot Press Committee looks forward to receiving your Application and Story!
Feel free to contact us with any questions: Victoria West, Danielle Darmo, Sherry Tierney at: email@example.com
9. Patriot Pride Campaign: The PTO is planning a fundraiser for September 2016 that is 100% parent run. This will be in place of Boosterthon for 2016. All profits will go straight to PES. We have many ideas, but need committee members to help organize the event. Please help us plan this campaign. Much of the planning and organization will need to be done this spring prior to summer break. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to volunteer. Thank you!!
10. Science Explorers After-School Science Club at Pocopson Elementary for Grades 1-5: The next club of the school year is set to begin on March 8th!! Science Club will meet on Tuesdays in Pocopson Elementary's Science Lab after school from 3:30 to 4:30 and is available to students in 1st to 5th grade. The next club topic is SECRETS OF ANCIENT EGYPT:
Become an Egyptologist as we explore the fascinating world of ancient Egypt. Discover how Egyptians used science every day as we construct pyramids, learn how to tell time using the sun, mummify apples, build a model shaduf that was used for irrigation, create your own mummy, and decode Egyptian writings!
Our last club topic of the year will be Is There a Doctor in the House. Please visit www.scienceexplorers.com
11. Birthday Book Club/Donate a Book program -
Help support the PES library by donating a book in honor of your child's birthday! See the communications packet flyer for more details and email Jennifer McDonald at email@example.com with any questions. Click this link to visit Mrs. Thomas' library page for library news and suggestions for book donations.
12. Yearbooks on sale: The yearbook is on sale for the early bird price of $28 per book. Simply click on the link to order:
13. The Pocopson Library is need of L.O.V.E. (Library Operations Volunteers Extraordinaire) again this year. Duties include:
- Helping students find books
- Checking books in and out
- Re-shelving books
- Shelf reading
No experience necessary. . .training provided! Shifts are 9:15-11:30 or 1:15-3:15
News: In Our District
1. Annual Golden Gala: Saturday, February 6, 2016
Join us as we celebrate our 20th anniversary! Please join us for a fun filled night as we celebrate the 20th anniversary of the Unionville-Chadds Ford Education Foundation. Hosted at the Gables of Chadds Ford, the night will include Hors D'oeuvres, dancing, cocktails, silent auction and fun. This event sold out last year. Tickets available now. Visit www.ucfedfoundation.org
If you have specific questions, please contact ucfedfoundation@gmail.
2. Unionville High School presents: SHREK THE MUSICAL, March 3-5
Thursday, Friday & Saturday 7:30pm
Saturday Matinee 2pm
UHS Auditorium, 750 Unionville Road, Kennett Square, PA 19348
Character Lunch with Shrek and the Gang
begins 11am Saturday! CF Patton Middle School Cafeteria
To reserve your lunch/preferred matinee seating
combo ticket: uhs.ucfsd.org/music and click on the GOLD ticket.
Show Tickets on sale for $12, beginning Monday, February 15
Tickets at the door: $14 adults/$12 student and senior citizens
3. If you want to add information to our Around Our School communications, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. For Community News, please watch for the UCF This Week emails. The Community Bulletin Board is also linked on our PES Home Page.
Unionville-Chadds Ford School District would like to continue connecting with you via email. If you prefer to be removed from our list, please contact Unionville-Chadds Ford School District directly. To stop receiving all email messages distributed through our SchoolMessenger service, follow this link and confirm: Unsubscribe
SchoolMessenger is a notification service used by the nation's leading school systems to connect with parents, students and staff through voice, SMS text, email, and social media.