Pocopson Elementary School Families,
Please take a moment to review the Communications Packet, which is also found on our PES website.
News: In Our Building
1. Family Fun Movie Night has been rescheduled to THIS FRIDAY, January 29th. Hotel Transylvania 2 will be shown indoors in the PES Gym.
Also that evening, the PTO has arranged a mobile finger printing unit to offer finger printing for your convenience. As a reminder, new rules for volunteer clearances go into effect July 2016. A finger print based federal criminal history will be required. To expedite the finger printing process, parents can pre-register at: https://www.pa.cogentid.com/index.htm and bring a print out confirmation to PES during Family Fun Movie Night. If you do not have access to a printer, a laptop and printer will be available that evening. Finger printing will be available from 6:30-8:00pm.
Concessions will be available from 6:30-7:00pm. All concessions will be $1. The movie will begin at 7pm. Wear your PJs, bring a blanket for your family, and come out for a night of fun!
2. Art and Garden 2016 Kick Off Meeting this Friday, January 29 at 9:15 in the PES cafeteria. All returning committee members and anyone interested in helping with PES's annual spring Art and Garden Celebration are encouraged to attend. Come join a fun group of parents to plan for this year's spring fair to be held April 30. We are especially in need of someone to help update the website if you have any expertise in this area. It can be done easily from your home on your own time. Looking for new ideas and suggestions. If you can't make the meeting but would like to be involved or have ideas to share, please contact Steph Stanislawczyk at email@example.com or Stacia Torrey at firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. PTO meeting: The next PTO meeting will be on Thursday, February 11th, at 9:30am in the cafeteria. Come join us for our lockdown bucket filling party!
4. Pocopson Elementary School 2016 Variety Show - 4th and 5th Grade Students: Sign Up to perform your favorite act! Juggling, Music, Comedy, Singing, Dancing or a Skit! If you do not want to perform but would like to be an emcee or part of our Stage Crew please sign up! We need you!!
Please take a look at the following important dates:
- Registration forms due: Thursday, 2/11
- Music due: Thursday, 2/18
- Mandatory Rehearsal: Thursday, 2/25, 3:30-5:30
- Mandatory full dress rehearsal: Wednesday, 3/2, 3:30-5:30
- PES Variety Show: Friday, 3/4
We will need parent volunteers for the rehearsals on February, 25"' and March 2"' and for the show on March 4"'. A sign up genius will be sent out for parents to sign up! Thank you in advance for you time. Contacts: Jeanne Ricciuti e-mail: email@example.com Tara Sammaritano e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
5. Patriot Pride Campaign: The PTO is planning a fundraiser for September 2016 that is 100% parent run. This will be in place of Boosterthon for 2016. All profits will go straight to PES. We have many ideas, but need committee members to help organize the event. Please help us plan this campaign. Much of the planning and organization will need to be done this spring prior to summer break. Email email@example.com to volunteer. Thank you!!
6. Creative engineering classes using LEGOS - "Winter Fun" Jan 27th - March 2nd 3.30-4.30 pm
During this 1 hour afterschool class we will use LEGO® bricks to introduce your child to the world of Science, Technology and Engineering. We will cover fascinating topics such as Space, Inventions, Animals, Transportation and many others. During this class your child will learn a new science concept and get to build a LEGO Model which demonstrates that principle. They could build a moving satellite, a walking monkey or a spinning helicopter. Our goal is to provide a fun educational program that inspires your young builder to new heights. Appropriate for age 5+. The Themes/builds are not repeated for at least 2 years. Appropriate for age 5+. To register please visit https://my.bricks4kidz.com/index.php?action=location&location=119 or call 484 557 3092.
7. Science Explorers After-School Science Club at Pocopson Elementary for Grades 1-5: The next club of the school year is set to begin on January 26th!! Science Club will meet on Tuesdays in Pocopson Elementary's Science Lab after school from 3:30 to 4:30 and is available to students in 1st to 5th grade. The next club topic is FREAKY PHYSICS: What do you get when you take matter and mix in some energy? Freaky Physics! We'll mix up a gas that is heavier than air, change states of matter to make slippery slime, and build a circuit to create an awesome motorized "drawing-bot". Plus see how physics and building are related as our engineering teams compete to see who can build the tallest towers. Test your science skills as we freak out with physics!
Club topics later in the year include Secrets of Ancient Egypt and Is There a Doctor in the House. Please visit www.scienceexplorers.com
8. Birthday Book Club/Donate a Book program -
Help support the PES library by donating a book in honor of your child's birthday! See the communications packet flyer for more details and email Jennifer McDonald at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions. Click this link to visit Mrs. Thomas' library page for library news and suggestions for book donations.
9. Yearbooks on sale: The yearbook is on sale for the early bird price of $28 per book. Simply click on the link to order:
10. The Pocopson Library is need of L.O.V.E. (Library Operations Volunteers Extraordinaire) again this year. Duties include:
- Helping students find books
- Checking books in and out
- Re-shelving books
- Shelf reading
No experience necessary. . .training provided! Shifts are 9:15-11:30 or 1:15-3:15
News: In Our District
1. Save the Date - Annual Golden Gala: Saturday, February 6, 2016
Join us as we celebrate our 20th anniversary! Please join us for a fun filled night as we celebrate the 20th anniversary of the Unionville-Chadds Ford Education Foundation. Hosted at the Gables of Chadds Ford, the night will include Hors D'oeuvres, dancing, cocktails, silent auction and fun. This event sold out last year. Tickets available now. Visit www.ucfedfoundation.org
If you have specific questions, please contact ucfedfoundation@gmail.
2. Unionville's Used Book Sale Neighborhood Collection Day: JANUARY 30, 2016
Due to the blizzard, we have rescheduled the Neighborhood Collection Day for THIS SATURDAY! Just leave your donations at the end of your driveway by 9:00 am. For weather challenges check UHSBookSale.org, our Facebook Page or Twitter feed (@UHStheBookSale). We collect from most roads in the school district. For a list of the roads we do not collect from see our mailer on the UHSBookSale.org website http://uhsbooksale.com/images/stories/files/2016_Used_Book_Sale_Mailer.pdf
Save Your Bags!! Please save your sturdy handled bags. You can drop them off along with your books. We DO accept: Books, Audio Books, Music CDs & Video Games. We do NOT accept: Reader's Digest. Encyclopedias, PDRs, Computer Manuals & Software, Magazines or VHS tapes.
*If you want to add information to our Around Our School communications, please email us at email@example.com. For Community News, please watch for the UCF This Week emails. The Community Bulletin Board is also linked on our PES Home Page.
Unionville-Chadds Ford School District would like to continue connecting with you via email. If you prefer to be removed from our list, please contact Unionville-Chadds Ford School District directly. To stop receiving all email messages distributed through our SchoolMessenger service, follow this link and confirm: Unsubscribe
SchoolMessenger is a notification service used by the nation's leading school systems to connect with parents, students and staff through voice, SMS text, email, and social media.