Pocopson Elementary School Families,
Please take a moment to review the Communications Packet, which is also found on our PES website.
News: In Our Building
1. Traffic Alert: Please note, all traffic tomorrow, Wednesday, and Thursday morning leaving PES will be directed to exit onto 926. The drive up to school will be one way only, which will ensure safety for the school buses. Thank you!
2. Donut Days has begun! What a great way to start the day! Children may invite a parent or favorite person to school for a morning treat. Coffee, Milk, Juice, Apples and Donuts will be served from 7:45AM – 8:45 AM in the cafeteria. No pre-registration required. Just come on your assigned day! Please contact email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions. After you enjoy a special treat, come browse our Fabulous Book Fair in the Gymnasium!
Tuesday, February 23rd last names beginning with A – H
Wednesday, February 24th last names beginning with I – P
Thursday, February 25th last names beginning with Q – Z
3. Feelin' Groovy Book Fair 2016…Peace, Love & Books! Book Fair Is Here! This Week!
Pocopson's Book Fair is here until February 25th
Monday, February 22nd - Class Wish List Day (Grades K-3 only)- Open 8-4
Tuesday, February 23rd - Donut Day A-H, Class Purchase Day - Open 8-4
Wednesday, February 24th - Donut Day I-P, Class Purchase Day - Open 8-4
Thursday, February 25th - Donut Day Q-Z, Class Purchase Day - Open 8-12; Clean Up 12-3
Class Change Collection Jar: Any donation welcome! Support our school library and charity! 70% of money collected will go directly to our sister school, Stonehurst Elementary! The remaining 30% will go toward our PES library. For every dollar we collect, Scholastic Book Fair donates one dollar to charity. Last year we collected $988.00 for our PES school library and Stonehurst's library, therefore Scholastic donated $988.00 to charity! Donations can be made at the Book Fair. Parents or kids can drop their loose change directly into their class jar located at the book fair. Donations can also be sent backpack express in an envelope marked "Book Fair". Please make sure to include your child's teacher's name. The class that has collected the most money by the end of the week will win a Disco Pizza Party!
Calling All Volunteers! Book Fair Volunteers Needed! Any hour you could give of your time would be great! There are still a few people needed for clean up on Thursday. Thank you to everyone that is helping us this week! http://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0c4aafae22a13-book3
Teacher Wish Lists: Attention Parents & Students… Don't forget to look for the Teacher Wish List Table while shopping at the book fair. This is a great opportunity to purchase a book for your child's classroom!
Thanks in advance. Questions? Please contact Kelly Hoffmann email@example.com
4. *** THE PATRIOT PRESS WILL BE @ DONUT DAYS ***
Pick up your child's Author Kit & look at SAMPLES of the high quality Student Books!! Applications will be available.
Cash or Checks to: PEPTO
Pocopson's PUBLISHING CENTER, THE PATRIOT PRESS, made Publishing Student-Author Books Easier than EVER.
*** There's PLENTY of Time! Author Kits are DUE on MARCH 11th ***
All Patriot Press books will be professionally bound and custom made for each student-author!
Visit the Patriot Press website for the Application & more Information. Find the Patriot Press on Pocopson's homepage: pes.ucfsd.org (click on the Patriot Press logo/ Quill pen)
AUTHOR KITS will be Delivered to Your Classroom after your Application & $8 is received (or pick 1 up @ DONUT DAYS). Once you have your Author Kit, writing & illustrating BEGINS!
5. Spring Picture Day - VOLUNTEERS NEEDED
Spring Picture Day is Wednesday, March 2nd. Forms will be coming home soon for you to select a portrait look. Please have your child bring this form on picture day. No advance payment is necessary. Every student will be photographed individually (no class photos) and a picture package will be sent home. Parents can then select what pictures they want to keep and send back any unwanted pictures along with payment. If you do not want any pictures, please send all pictures back.
This is also the day for the 5th Grade Graduation Picture. You don't want your child to miss this! The entire 5th grade will have their picture taken with Mr. Beaver and the 5th grade teachers. Please make every effort to be at school for this special picture!
Volunteers are needed to help keep the photography process running smoothly. Please consider spending a few hours of Wednesday, March 2nd at PES and sign up at www.SignUpGenius.com/go/10C0C48ADAA28A46-spring
We also are in need of a new Picture Day Committee Member for 2016-2017. If you are interested in coordinating school pictures next year or have any questions about picture day, please email Dara Main at firstname.lastname@example.org.
6. Pocopson Elementary School 2016 Variety Show - Important Dates
- Mandatory Rehearsal: Thursday, 2/25, 3:30-5:30
- Mandatory full dress rehearsal: Wednesday, 3/2, 3:30-5:30
- PES Variety Show: Friday, 3/4
Parent volunteers are still needed for the rehearsals on February 25th and March 2"' and for the show on March 4"'. Please sign up here:
7. The PTO has arranged more mobile fingerprinting dates. Fingerprinting will be available during the Variety Show on March 4th, from 5-8 pm. To expedite the finger printing process, parents can pre-register at: https://www.pa.cogentid.
8. 4th Grade Skating Party
Sunday, March 13, 2016 at IceLine in West Chester from 5:00 to7:00 pm
Event is FREE for ALL Pocopson 4th Graders and includes skate rental, snack and drink.
Please fill out and submit the registration form to sign up: SkatingPartyForm
9. Art and Garden 2016: Are you looking for a fun way to get involved in a parent led effort at PES? Plans for the annual PES Art & Garden Celebration are underway but it's not too late to join the team. This year the event will take place on Saturday, April 30. And we currently have committee roles open and welcome anyone looking to volunteer their skills and time and have some fun with our team. We'll find the right fit for what interests you. If you're ready to join us plan on attending our next meeting on Wednesday, February 24, at 9:00 am in the cafeteria and contact Steph Stanislawczyk and she'll tell you more. email@example.com
If you're new to PES, A&G is our Saturday Spring Fun Day at school that offers entertainment for the whole family; fun run, games, activities, demonstrations, concessions, craft & plant sales, and the silent auction.
10. PTO meeting: The next PTO meeting will be this Thursday, March 10th, at 9:30 am in the PES library.
11. Patriot Pride Campaign: The PTO is planning a fundraiser for September 2016 that is 100% parent run. This will be in place of Boosterthon for 2016. All profits will go straight to PES. We have many ideas, but need committee members to help organize the event. Please help us plan this campaign. Much of the planning and organization will need to be done this spring prior to summer break. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to volunteer. Thank you!!
12. Birthday Book Club/Donate a Book program -
Help support the PES library by donating a book in honor of your child's birthday! See the communications packet flyer for more details and email Jennifer McDonald at email@example.com with any questions. Click this link to visit Mrs. Thomas' library page for library news and suggestions for book donations.
13. Yearbooks on sale: The yearbook is on sale for the early bird price of $28 per book. Simply click on the link to order:
14. The Pocopson Library is need of L.O.V.E. (Library Operations Volunteers Extraordinaire) again this year. Duties include:
- Helping students find books
- Checking books in and out
- Re-shelving books
- Shelf reading
No experience necessary. . .training provided! Shifts are 9:15-11:30 or 1:15-3:15
News: In Our District
1. The TWENTIETH annual UHS Used Book Sale is here!! Don't miss it! And don't forget to get your free book! (See below for details.)
FRIDAY, February 26th from 4:00 - 9:00 PM
SATURDAY, February 27th from 9:00 AM - 2:30, followed by the $10 Bag Sale from 3:00-5:00
Why come? In 20 years we've grown and grown. Our book sale is one of the biggest on the East Coast.
* 80,000 books
* 45 pre-sorted categories
* 20,000 children's books
* Extensive collection of rare and out-to-print books
* Most are under $2
It's not just books. We'll also have audio books, music CDs, DVDs and Video Games!!
FREE BOOK!! If you have a child in a UCFSD school they should have their Used Book Sale Bookmark. Bring that with you and get a free book (some restrictions apply, see bookmark for details). If they don't have their bookmark yet, send them to their school library.
ADULT VOLUNTEERS STILL NEEDED!! Even if you don't have a child yet in the High School, the money raised at the Used Book Sale goes to Enrichment Projects throughout UHS. You're child will eventually benefit from the funds raised. Plus it is a great event. Please consider helping! http://www.signupgenius.com/go/5080f4ca8ae2f4-2016/
In case of inclement weather or for additional information check our website http://www.uhsbooksale.org. Like us on Facebook and Follow us on Twitter @UHStheBookSale. Questions? UHSBookSale@gmail.com.
2. Minding Your Mind- Discussion About Stress, Anxiety, Depression and Bullying
CF Patton MS Auditorium
Tuesday, February 23
7:00 PM to 9:00 PM
Join Minding Your Mind in a discussion for students and parents on mental health education. Topics addressed will include anxiety, depression, suicidal ideation, bullying, and the difference between positive and negative coping mechanisms.
Minding Your Mind is a not-for-profit organization whose primary objective is to provide mental health education to adolescents, teens, and young adults, as well as parents, teachers, and school administrators. Our goal is to break the silence and to reduce the stigma and destructive behaviors often associated with mental health issues. We strive to move away from crisis-based response to prevention through education.
For more information please contact Elaine Anderson at firstname.lastname@example.org
3. Unionville High School presents: SHREK THE MUSICAL, March 3-5
Thursday, Friday & Saturday 7:30pm
Saturday Matinee 2pm
UHS Auditorium, 750 Unionville Road, Kennett Square, PA 19348
*Character Lunch with Shrek and the Gang begins 11am Saturday! CF Patton Middle School Cafeteria. To reserve your lunch/preferred matinee seating combo ticket: uhs.ucfsd.org/music and click on the GOLD ticket.
Show Tickets on sale now for $12: www.showtix4u.com
Tickets at the door: $14 adults/$12 student and senior citizens
1. Delete Blood Cancer - DKMS Donor Registry Drive -
13,000 patients are looking for bone marrow or stem cell donors to help give them a second chance at life. 6 out of 10 are currently unable to find a match. You can be the one to help. You can register as a potential donor on the National Donor Marrow Registry. If you match with a patient, you will be contacted to discuss donation of stem cells or bone marrow. Want to help?
- Come register as a potential donor at the Kennett Area YMCA (101 Race Street, Kennett Square) on March 12 from 9-2. Get your cheek swabbed to add you to the list!
- Registering costs nothing. But donations are welcome to offset the costs of registering each person ($65). You can donate here:
- Want to donate another way? Go to the Concord Township Chick-Fil-A (State Farm Rd, Glen Mills) on Monday March 7, 2016 - anytime all day long. Tell them you are supporting Delete Blood Cancer and 15% of your sale will be donated.
For questions, contact Christy Pickar - email@example.com
2. If you want to add information to our Around Our School communications, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. For Community News, please watch for the UCF This Week emails. The Community Bulletin Board is also linked on our PES Home Page.
Unionville-Chadds Ford School District would like to continue connecting with you via email. If you prefer to be removed from our list, please contact Unionville-Chadds Ford School District directly. To stop receiving all email messages distributed through our SchoolMessenger service, follow this link and confirm: Unsubscribe
SchoolMessenger is a notification service used by the nation's leading school systems to connect with parents, students and staff through voice, SMS text, email, and social media.