Pocopson Elementary School Families,
Please take a moment to review the Communications Packet, which is also found on our PES website.
News: In Our Building
1. Save the date! Family Fun Indoor Movie Night is this Friday, January 22nd. Hotel Transylvania 2 will be shown in the PES Gym. Concessions will be open from 6:30 pm - 7:00 pm, and the movie will begin at 7:00 pm. All concession items will be $1. Wear your PJs, bring a blanket for your family, and come on out for a night of fun! *Stay tuned for an announcement in the event of bad weather….our snow date is Friday, January 29th.*
2. Patriot Pride Campaign: The PTO is planning a fundraiser for September 2016 that is 100% parent run. This will be in place of Boosterthon for 2016. All profits will go straight to PES. We have many ideas, but need committee members to help organize the event. Please help us plan this campaign. Much of the planning and organization will need to be done this spring prior to summer break. Email email@example.com to volunteer. Thank you!!
3. Creative engineering classes using LEGOS - "Winter Fun" Jan 27th - March 2nd 3.30-4.30 pm
During this 1 hour afterschool class we will use LEGO® bricks to introduce your child to the world of Science, Technology and Engineering. We will cover fascinating topics such as Space, Inventions, Animals, Transportation and many others. During this class your child will learn a new science concept and get to build a LEGO Model which demonstrates that principle. They could build a moving satellite, a walking monkey or a spinning helicopter. Our goal is to provide a fun educational program that inspires your young builder to new heights. Appropriate for age 5+. The Themes/builds are not repeated for at least 2 years. Appropriate for age 5+. To register please visit https://my.bricks4kidz.com/index.php?action=location&location=119 or call 484 557 3092.
4. Science Explorers After-School Science Club at Pocopson Elementary for Grades 1-5: The next club of the school year is set to begin on January 26th!! Science Club will meet on Tuesdays in Pocopson Elementary's Science Lab after school from 3:30 to 4:30 and is available to students in 1st to 5th grade. The next club topic is FREAKY PHYSICS: What do you get when you take matter and mix in some energy? Freaky Physics! We'll mix up a gas that is heavier than air, change states of matter to make slippery slime, and build a circuit to create an awesome motorized "drawing-bot". Plus see how physics and building are related as our engineering teams compete to see who can build the tallest towers. Test your science skills as we freak out with physics!
Club topics later in the year include Secrets of Ancient Egypt and Is There a Doctor in the House. Please visit www.scienceexplorers.com
5. Birthday Book Club/Donate a Book program -
Help support the PES library by donating a book in honor of your child's birthday! See the communications packet flyer for more details and email Jennifer McDonald at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions. Click this link to visit Mrs. Thomas' library page for library news and suggestions for book donations.
6. Yearbooks on sale: The yearbook is on sale for the early bird price of $28 per book. Simply click on the link to order:
7. The Pocopson Library is need of L.O.V.E. (Library Operations Volunteers Extraordinaire) again this year. Duties include:
- Helping students find books
- Checking books in and out
- Re-shelving books
- Shelf reading
No experience necessary. . .training provided! Shifts are 9:15-11:30 or 1:15-3:15
News: In Our District
1. Save the Date - Annual Golden Gala: Saturday, February 6, 2016
Join us as we celebrate our 20th anniversary! Please join us for a fun filled night as we celebrate the 20th anniversary of the Unionville-Chadds Ford Education Foundation. Hosted at the Gables of Chadds Ford, the night will include Hors D'oeuvres, dancing, cocktails, silent auction and fun. This event sold out last year. Tickets available now. Visit www.ucfedfoundation.org
If you have specific questions, please contact ucfedfoundation@gmail.
1. URA Spring 2016 Registration is NOW OPEN!
It is time to start thinking about Spring Softball! We are very excited about the 2016 season as we are making some improvements to our 2015 program.
Perhaps the biggest change will be to our age divisions. We have added an age group and we will now follow the standard age groups used in most softball programs. So we will have PeeWees, 8U, 10U, 12U and 16U programs. This change will ensure that players have the best ability to grow and play at their skill level.
We are also excited to have a 16U team that will be led by Mark Royer. We are finalizing plans now that will ensure that our 16U girls will have a full season of games with other programs in the area.
Another change will be in our 10U and 12U schedules. We are completing plans that will give the girls to play a much more exciting season. The girls will have the opportunity to play more teams with a few games with some local teams. This means that there will be a few (up to 3) "away" games, however the travel is kept to a minimum and is within 15 miles.
We know that one of the attractions of our program is the local nature of practice and games. By adding up to 3 away games we are giving the girls a much better program because they will get the ability to play a much wider range of teams. The away games will be in the West Chester area. I know girls are going to be very excited!
To encourage you to register now we are offering a $20 discount for registrations completed by January 31st. The discount will appear on the check-out page. Please register now by CLICKING HERE.
Look for more information on our Pre-Season clinics soon.
2. If you want to add information to our Around Our School communications, please email us at email@example.com. For Community News, please watch for the UCF This Week emails. The Community Bulletin Board is also linked on our PES Home Page.
Unionville-Chadds Ford School District would like to continue connecting with you via email. If you prefer to be removed from our list, please contact Unionville-Chadds Ford School District directly. To stop receiving all email messages distributed through our SchoolMessenger service, follow this link and confirm: Unsubscribe
SchoolMessenger is a notification service used by the nation's leading school systems to connect with parents, students and staff through voice, SMS text, email, and social media.