Pocopson Elementary School Families,
Please take a moment to review the Communications Packet, which is also found on our PES website.
News: In Our Building
1. PICTURE RETAKE DAY - Monday, November 9th
Picture Retake Day is scheduled for Monday, Nov. 9th starting at 9 a.m. Any student absent on the original picture day will have their school picture taken on Nov. 9th. Any afternoon kindergartners who need a retake should come in at 9 a.m. If you ordered pictures and would like a retake, please have your child bring their picture packet on Retake Day, but keep any class pictures. For questions, please email Dara Main at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Square 1 Art - ORDERS DUE THIS WEEK! OCTOBER 30TH!
Last chance to order your child's Square 1 Art is this week! You should have received your child's Square 1 Art order packet in your child's backpack. The order packet includes a picture of your child's artwork along with items that are available for purchase. Orders can be placed online www.square1art.com or please send the completed order form back to the school in an envelope marked "Square 1 Art" with checks payable to "Square 1 Art".
This year we have an awesome class prize… the class with the highest participation % will win a Tie-Dye T-Shirt Party!
Also, if 50% of the school places an order the entire school will participate in creating the school's very own "Jackson Pollock" masterpiece that will be displayed in the school!
Orders due by October 30th. Please email Kelly Hoffmann with any questions email@example.com
3. Coins for Kids - Community Service Project, October 26 – 30, 2015. Students – bring in your coins for this annual event to raise money to support our sister school Stonehurst Hills Elementary and other Community Service projects. Each grade has a jar for their pennies. The goal is to have the MOST PENNIES in your jar. Any silver coins or bills put in the jar count against the total pennies. So put pennies in YOUR class jar and put silver in the OTHER classes jar.
We will be offering several items this year again—short sleeve t-shirts, baseball style t-shirts, polyester performance t-shirts, polyester performance hoodies, hockey style lace up hoodies, shorts, and flannel pocketed pj pants. Blank size samples are available to try on for sizing in the PES lobby. With the exception of the hockey style hoodie, all merchandise is available in both youth and adult sizes. The hockey hoodie is available in adult sizes XXS-XXL.
Merchandise should be delivered approximately November 9, 2015. Think ahead and order some PES Spirit Wear as Holiday gifts!!!!
5. ART IN ACTION STARTS NEXT WEEK // NEED FOR PARENT VOLUNTEERS IS URGENT!
Please consider volunteering 35 minutes of your time to your childs Art class for an interactive art history lesson.
YOU DO NOT NEED TO HAVE AN ART HISTORY BACKGROUND!
Parents simply need to prompt the prepared slide show on the smart board and get the students talking about what they see!
Training materials will be supplied by email.
Hands on Project Volunteers Needed for second round as well. Second grade classes definitely need four volunteers per class as it is an outdoor landscape photo project.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
6. UCFSD coat drive: UCFSD Community Service gives away gently used warm coats, fleece jackets, hats, mittens/gloves and snow pants to local families in need. Donated items can be dropped off in the lobbies of any of the UCF district schools now until Thursday 12/17. Items should be clean and in good condition. All styles and sizes are needed. New items are also gladly accepted!
7. Nominate your favorite PES teacher: Show your school spirit today by nominating the great teachers at your school. The Citadel Heart of Learning Award is a teaching excellence award for Chester County teachers. Each year, 15 finalists and three overall winners are selected for their outstanding contribution to the community through teaching. All finalists and winners are honored with an award, cash prizes and a night of celebration at the annual awards banquet. Students, parents, teachers, administrators or anyone in the community can nominate a teacher at CitadelHeartofLearning.com. Nominations are open through December 31.
After the nomination period ends, the Citadel Heart of Learning Award committee will tally the total number of nominations by school. The top three schools will earn cash for events or assemblies: 1st Place - $1500, 2nd Place - $750, 3rd Place - $500
8. Are you a committee chair or creative parent? We need volunteers to sign up to reserve the showcase in the front entrance to decorate throughout the year. The reservation is for a two-week block. Advertise an event, decorate for a holiday or season. The sky's the limit! Please be sure to take down your decorations at the end of the two week slot so the next person is ready to go. Thanks. Sign up here: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/60b0e48aeaf0-showcase
9. Giant A+ Rewards program will be beginning soon. Please go to Giant's website http://giantfood.com/aplus/register-card/ to register your bonus card to earn money for Pocopson. Every year Giant gives back over $1000 to Pocopson because parents register their bonus card and designate Pocopson (#25843) as the recipient. It does not affect gas reward points. We typically have under 100 registered cards. Imagine how much we could earn if every parent who shops at Giant registers his/her card. It's free money for our school!!
10. The Pocopson Library is need of L.O.V.E. (Library Operations Volunteers Extraordinaire) again this year. Duties include:
- Helping students find books
- Checking books in and out
- Re-shelving books
- Shelf reading
No experience necessary. . .training provided!
Shifts are 9:15-11:30 or 1:15-3:15 every other week. If you cannot commit to every other week and would still like to volunteer, please let Eva in the library know. Use this link to sign up: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/60b0e48aeaf0-library1
News: In Our District
1. Community Conversation: Keeping Our Schools Safe
We will be holding a Community Conversation on school safety on November 11 at 6:00 pm in the UHS cafeteria. In 2013, responding to the lessons learned from Sandy Hook, our community came together for our last Community Conversation on safety. A 27 point plan was adopted and implemented. Recent events (weapons found on campus) and the District's response to them, have generated a lot of conversation throughout the community. Its time to come together again, to review where we are and what else needs to be addressed as we remain ever vigilant about the safety of our children.
RSVP to Kim Van der Mooren email@example.com
Light snacks and refreshments will be served.
2. October 31 – Hillendale's Halloween Husky Hustle 5k & Fun Run. This event is full of fun for the whole family – races, music, dancing, inflatables and more. 5K Race Time – 9am (Fun Run starts immediately after) *1850 Hillendale Road $25 for 5K & $15 for Fun Run. Click Here to Register!
3. 2nd Annual CMMD 5K Run for Cancer. On November 7, we are hosting our second annual "This Run's Personal"--Team CMMD 5k and 1 mile walk in Downingtown. UCFSD is one of several districts promoting this event. The organizers will sponsor a free ice cream social for the school that has the most entrants! Staff and students are invited to participate. The more registrants we have, the more families we can help.
Please register here: https://secondwind.webconnex.com/CMMD
The code for registration .....PES
4. UCF Education Foundation: Please designate UCFEF in the United Way Campaign. Charitable Giving Campaigns are starting at many local companies and at the United Way of Southern Chester County. Please consider donating specifically to the Unionville-Chadds Ford Education Foundation. You can designate UCFEF as the recipient of your funds by using our tax ID: 23-2806707. We directly support projects and programs in all six schools. Since some companies match employee donations given through workplace campaigns, it's a means to increase the funding to our schools.
1. Piano and Vocal lessons in the comfort of your home!
Allison Landon is a 2009 graduate from UHS. She is a recent bachelor of music graduate from The University of the Arts in Philadelphia. She has had professional training as both a pianist and vocalist in classical and jazz styles for over 15 years. As an active vocalist, Allison has performed at local festivals, sports events, and participated in professional ensembles. Lessons consist of weekly repertoire, scales and an emphasis on understanding music theory through written work and performance. Allison takes a positive, fun and encouraging approach to teaching piano to all of her students! Visit allisonlandon.com or email firstname.lastname@example.org to book lessons!
2. Dr. Sam Goldstein, Neuropsychologist, will be facilitating a presentation for parents at the Chester County Intermediate Unit on Monday, Nov. 2 from 7:00 to 9:00PM. The topic will be "Promoting Resilience in Our Children and Ourselves." Please see the flyer in our Communications Packet. Parents can register using the following link: www.cciu.org/samgoldstein. There is no charge to attend.
3. If you want to add information to our Around Our School communications, please email us at email@example.com. For Community News, please watch for the UCF This Week emails. The Community Bulletin Board is also linked on our PES Home Page.
Unionville-Chadds Ford School District would like to continue connecting with you via email. If you prefer to be removed from our list, please contact Unionville-Chadds Ford School District directly. To stop receiving all email messages distributed through our SchoolMessenger service, follow this link and confirm: Unsubscribe
SchoolMessenger is a notification service used by the nation's leading school systems to connect with parents, students and staff through voice, SMS text, email, and social media.