Pocopson Elementary School Families,
Please take a moment to review the Communications Packet, which is also found on our PES website.
News: In Our Building
1. Boosterthon Pledge Counting! We need volunteers to help us enter pledges (cash and checks) in the Boosterthon software system on Friday, October 2nd at 9 am! We will teach you what to do! Please see the sign up genius link for more details!
2. Pocopson Picture Day is Wednesday, September 30th.
SMILE! School pictures are scheduled for Wed., Sept. 30th. Mark your calendars! The fall school picture will be their individual picture for the yearbook. This is also your child's only opportunity to be included in the class photo.
Picture order forms were sent home yesterday. This form and payment are required on picture day. Please fill out the form completely including a pose and background. The completed form and payment are required on picture day. You do not have to purchase pictures, but every child will be photographed so they can be included in the yearbook. Picture retake day is scheduled for Monday, Nov. 9th.
Volunteers are needed to help keep the photography process running smoothly. Please consider spending a few hours of Wednesday, September 30th at PES. Sign up at www.SignUpGenius.com/go/10C0C48ADAA28A46-pesschool or email Dara Main at email@example.com if you are interested in helping out or if you have any questions.
3. Mrs. Einthoven needs assistance with the Health Screenings on Wednesday, September 30 during school picture day. After students have their photo taken, they have their height and weight checked. Mrs. Einthoven needs help recording heights and weights, keeping students in line and helping younger students tie shoes. Please consider helping our school nurse by signing up here http://www.signupgenius.com/go/60b0e48aeaf0-health1.
4. Box Tops Collection: The first semi-annual Box Tops for Education contest begins October 1st. Please check the expiration dates and trim all your box tops. Put them in an envelope or zip lock bag and send via backpack express. Each class has a container for the kids to deposit their box tops. The class with the most box tops wins a pajama day and a movie. Any class that collects 500 or more box tops will win a pajama day. Please have all your box tops submitted by October 24th.
5. Book Swap - Our annual book swap is coming up in October! We need volunteers to help collect donations and issue Book Bucks, and help student purchase "new" books to add to their home library. See flyer in the Communications Packet for dates and details. Please click on the link below to sign up for volunteer slots:
6. Are you interested in how the whole child is educated here in the UCFSD? The wellness committee brings together community members and administration each month to meet and discuss issues related to our children and their overall well-being. If you would like to represent Pocopson on the wellness committee this year, please contact Danielle Darmo (firstname.lastname@example.org).
7. Attention New Pocopson Parents: If you are new to Pocopson or just want to come and meet your new neighbors....The New Parent Partner Committee invites you to an informal Meet and Greet sponsored by the Pocopson PTO, Monday evening 6:30-8:30pm October 5th 2015 at the Northbrook Marketplacehttp://northbrookmarketplace.com, 1805 Unionville-Wawaset Road, West Chester, Pa 19382 RSVP to: Christy Pickar email@example.com or Mickey Bailey firstname.lastname@example.org so that we may get a head count. Looking forward to meeting all of you.
8. "It's not what happens to you. It's what you do with what happens to you." Chris Waddell, Paralympian, author, and motivational speaker, will be presenting an assembly for Grades 3-5 during school on Friday, October 2nd. Please mark your calendars for a special family event to be held on Thursday, October 1st at 7:00 pm. Doors to open at 6:30 pm. One Revolution, a documentary which captures his ascent of Mt. Kilimanjaro, will be shown, followed by a Q&A session. This event will provide great background for the student assembly being held the following day. The documentary is appropriate for ages 8 and older, and all children must be accompanied by an adult.
9. Are you a committee chair or creative parent? We need volunteers to sign up to reserve the showcase in the front entrance to decorate throughout the year. The reservation is for a two-week block. Advertise an event, decorate for a holiday or season. The sky's the limit! Please be sure to take down your decorations at the end of the two week slot so the next person is ready to go. Thanks. Sign up here: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/60b0e48aeaf0-showcase
10. The Pocopson Library is need of L.O.V.E. (Library Operations Volunteers Extraordinaire) again this year. Duties include:
- Helping students find books
- Checking books in and out
- Re-shelving books
- Shelf reading
No experience necessary. . .training provided!
Shifts are 9:15-11:30 or 1:15-3:15 every other week. If you cannot commit to every other week and would still like to volunteer, please let Eva in the library know. Use this link to sign up: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/60b0e48aeaf0-library1
11. Children's Yoga at Pocopson - Wednesday mornings classes* 8-8:45am
Location: Stage in the Gymnasium
Dates: 9/30, 10/7, 10/14, 10/21, 10/28, 11/4
Wear loose clothing and bring a mat
6-week session for $85
*Please check the Communications Packet for a registration form. Classes will be taught by Julianne Ruocco, RYT 200 (Registered Yoga Teacher). Any questions or concerns? Email address: email@example.com
12. PES Art In Action needs parent volunteers!!!! ART IN ACTION 2016 is right around the corner....stay tuned!
What is Art in Action? AIA is a parent-facilitated incremental Art-Enrichment Course that is exclusive to grades k-5 in the UCFSD. A great majority of the Permanent Art Collection in PES was created by students through Art in Action. The course evolves over two consecutive art classes.
Volunteers need not have an art background, just the skill set to guide the students and the desire to be a presence in your child's class!
PROGRAM DATES: November 2-18, 2015. Stay tuned for sign up genius.
THE PROGRAM RUNS IN TWO CYCLES, BOTH CYCLES TAKE PLACE DURING ART CLASS IN THE ART ROOM.
• CYCLE ONE: SLIDE SHOW PRESENTATION - (2) SLIDE SHOW PRESENTERS NEEDED FOR EACH CLASS. The presentation is already created and the facilitators objective is simply to engage the class with open ended questions.
• CYCLE TWO: HANDS ON PROJECT (6) VOLUNTEERS NEEDED FOR EACH CLASS. Volunteers will 'guide' the student through the project.
***dates subject to change due to field trips or incremental weather.
Art in Action Trainings for parent volunteers will be scheduled. Stay tuned for dates. We will quickly review the information, pass out binders, and demonstrate the project. If you are not able to attend, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com for info pack.
***As a reminder, please do not write in binders and leave binders with Mrs. Hage in the Art Room when presenting is completed.
News: In Our District
1. In our ongoing efforts to educate our young people of the consequences of drug/alcohol abuse, we are pleased to inform you that the Chester County NOPE (Narcotics Overdose Prevention and Education) Task Force will be presenting to our 7th and 8th grade students on Tuesday, October 13, 2015 and to our high school students on Wednesday, October 14, 2015. A parent / community program will occur on Wednesday evening, October 14th from 7:00 PM to 8:30 PM in the UHS auditorium. This program comes to us through the efforts and support of the Unionville Chadds Ford Education Foundation and our FOCUS (Family Outreach Committee of Unionville Schools) Organization.
NOPE's mission is to diminish the frequency and impact of overdose death through community education, family support and purposeful advocacy. For more information regarding the NOPE Task Force or to speak with a Chester County NOPE representative, please call 484-444-0412 or firstname.lastname@example.org NOPE Task Force Headquarters can be contacted at 561-478-1055 or visit their website at www.nopetaskforce.org.
2. Unionville Chadds Ford Education Foundation is sponsoring a Family Night at Northbrook Marketplace on Friday, October 16, from 6:30 to 8:00 PM. Enjoy S'mores with your family while visiting with friends and learning about The Education Foundation. This is a FREE event to families in the Unionville Chadds Ford School District. Fall items available for purchase: Mums, Pumpkins & Hay. All proceeds will benefit Unionville Chadds Ford Education Foundation.
3. October 31 – Hillendale's Halloween Husky Hustle 5k & Fun Run. This event is full of fun for the whole family – races, music, dancing, inflatables and more.
5K Race Time – 9am (Fun Run starts immediately after) *1850 Hillendale Road $25 for 5K & $15 for Fun Run. Click Here to Register!
4. Parenting Workshop - Conscious Parenting
Do you wonder if you are a good parent?
Do you want to make the best decisions for your family?
Do you long to feel more confident in your parenting?
Do you want to connect with your child and have a better relationship?
Join us for a valuable 4-week workshop on Conscious Parenting. This event is sponsored by the Unionville Chadds Ford Education Foundation and the FOCUS committee. It is free and open to all parents in the UCFSD community.
Come to one, come to all ~ please register your attendance.
Tuesdays, October. 6, 13, 20,& 27 2015 // 7:00-8:30 pm
Hillendale Elementary, 1850 Hillendale Road, Chadds Ford, PA 19317
To Register: www.focus-parenting.eventbrite.com
Workshops are being led by PCI Certified Parent Coaches® Sue DeCaro and Erin Taylor, MA
5. UCF Education Foundation
Please designate UCFEF in the United Way Campaign
Charitable Giving Campaigns are starting at many local companies and at the United Way of Southern Chester County. Please consider donating specifically to the Unionville-Chadds Ford Education Foundation. You can designate UCFEF as the recipient of your funds by using our tax ID: 23-2806707. We directly support projects and programs in all six schools. Since some companies match employee donations given through workplace campaigns, it's a means to increase the funding to our schools.
6. Thursday, October 1st is URA Field Hockey Night! Come cheer on the UHS Varsity Field Hockey team at the UHS Stadium during the next home night game vs. Great Valley at 7:30pm on Thursday, October 1st. URA players that wear their URA Field Hockey uniform shirt, pinny or t-shirt will get in FREE! (note: admission for night games is $5.00 and children 10 and under are free).
All URA Field Hockey players will be invited on the field before the start of the game and will stand with the UHS team for the playing of the national anthem!
Attention 7th and 8th grade URA Field Hockey Players - we are looking for six girls to be ball girls for the game. Interested? Email UHSFHCLINIC@GMAIL.com for more information. First come, first served.
1. 2nd Annual CMMD 5K Run for Cancer. On November 7, we are hosting our second annual "This Run's Personal"--Team CMMD 5k and 1 mile walk in Downingtown. UCFSD is one of several districts promoting this event. The organizers will sponsor a free ice cream social for the school that has the most entrants! Staff and students are invited to participate. The more registrants we have, the more families we can help.
Please register here: https://secondwind.webconnex.com/CMMD
The code for registration .....PES
2. Camp Spookynaw presents 3 Haunted attractions; The Camp Tour: 10 buildings of scary fun, Beneath Cabin 13: a nightmare filled maze, and The Hayride through terror filled woods. Buy tickets ONLINE. Please contact email@example.com with any questions. Every weekend in October.
Pack your bags, grab a friend, and hug your family goodbye. Everyone's scared their first night at camp...
3. Dr. Sam Goldstein, Neuropsychologist, will be facilitating a presentation for parents at the Chester County Intermediate Unit on Monday, Nov. 2 from 7:00 to 9:00PM. The topic will be "Promoting Resilience in Our Children and Ourselves." Please see the flyer in our Communications Packet. Parents can register using the following link: www.cciu.org/samgoldstein. There is no charge to attend.
4. If you want to add information to our Around Our School communications, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. For Community News, please watch for the UCF This Week emails. The Community Bulletin Board is also linked on our PES Home Page.
Unionville-Chadds Ford School District would like to continue connecting with you via email. If you prefer to be removed from our list, please contact Unionville-Chadds Ford School District directly. To stop receiving all email messages distributed through our SchoolMessenger service, follow this link and confirm: Unsubscribe
SchoolMessenger is a notification service used by the nation's leading school systems to connect with parents, students and staff through voice, SMS text, email, and social media.