Pocopson Elementary School Families,
Please take a moment to review the Communications Packet, which is also found on our PES website.
News: In Our Building
1. Holiday Community Service Projects at PES: The Holidays are just around the corner and so are the Holiday Community Service Projects. Over the next month the following Community Service Projects will be in full swing.
- Turkey Coupon Collection – give your grocery store coupon to the PTO and we will donate it for you. Submit coupons to the PES office in an envelope marked "COMMUNITY SERVICE". Any questions, please contact Parker Hendrix at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Giving Tree – a way to make the holidays brighter for community members in need. Choose a gift tag from the Giving Tree, purchase the gift and return it to the tree unwrapped and we will deliver it.
- Hats, Mittens and Socks for our sister school, Stonehurst Hills Elementary. Donate a hat, mittens and socks to be given to our friends at Stonehurst Hills.
2. Holiday Gift Shop: It is almost time for our Holiday Gift Shop! During the week of Nov. 30 - Dec. 4, the kids will have an opportunity to shop with their class for small gifts for family and friends. We need lots of help to give them a hand as they follow their lists and budgets, and surprise their loved ones with something they have chosen especially for them. Every year, their thoughtfulness and generosity of spirit are a sweet sight to see. Come help - lots of short shifts available. Christy Pickar - email@example.com Mickey Bailey - firstname.lastname@example.org
3. The Art in Action Committee would like to express our gratitude to all of the parent volunteers who completed presentations and projects for this years AIA, American Art // American Vision! This special PTO funded program would not operate without volunteers!
Also, a big thank you to Mrs. Hage for jumping in and joining the process!
Please join the committee next year if you would like to assist in project ideas or any aspect of the program.
Keep your eyes peeled for projects displayed around the school throughout the year and the final 5th grade installation during the Spring Art Show!
4. Bar Modeling Course for Parents Now Available Online: A new online Canvas course has been created and added to the Math in Focus Website. The course is designed to teach various aspects of the problem solving strategy known as bar modeling. The approach, originating in Singapore, is a means of visually representing mathematics as a means of understanding, and problem solving. Our school district invites you to check out these resources and refer to them so that you better understand the concepts that are being taught in the classroom.
Go to the Math in Focus Website to access the course. The course has four parts, organized by grade level (grades 2 - 5).
5. Girls on the Run (GOTR) Food Drive: The PES Girls on the Run group is asking for your help toward our food drive benefiting the Chester County Chapter of Blessings in a Backpack. This organization provides meals to 73 children living in our county who otherwise would go hungry the days when they're not in school. Their most critical need is for three specific items; peanut butter, family sized mac n cheese, and canned black beans. Donations can be dropped off in the bin outside Miss GW's classroom until Friday, December 4. Please support our effort through food donations. Additional information on this program can be found at www.blessingsinabackpack.org. Contact Steph Stanislawczyk with questions. Stephstan2000@yahoo.com.
6. Yearbooks on sale! The yearbook is on sale for the early bird price of $28 per book.
Simply click on the link to order:
7. Next PTO meeting: Please join us at the next PTO meeting on Thursday, 12/10, at 9:30 in the PES library. This is a great opportunity to get to know Mr. Beaver while enjoying coffee and homemade treats by our very own PTO professional caterer!
8. Science Explorers After-School Science Club at Pocopson Elementary for Grades 1-5: The next club of the school year is set to begin on Dec 8th!! Science Club will meet on Tuesdays in Pocopson Elementary's Science Lab after school from 3:30 to 4:30 and is available to students in 1st to 5th grade.
The next club topic is BURPS, BELCHES AND BAD BREATH: Did you know that mucus is part of your daily diet? On what part of your body are you producing a cement-like substance? Are there little creatures living on you? What happens to our cells when we sweat? Find out the wacky science going on inside all of us! We will make our own mucus, create body spray to keep us smelling good, make an explosion of gas bubbles, mix up noisy putty, and use chemistry to show how to neutralize stomach acids. We like to call it a "cool kind of gross"!
Club topics later in the year include Freaky Physics, Secrets of Ancient Egypt and Is There a Doctor in the House. Please visit www.scienceexplorers.com and click on After-school clubs for more information on club dates, cost or to register your child. Class size is limited to 20 students per club...so, please register early to guarantee your child a spot. Please contact Jill Shinn at email@example.com or 609.315.6492 with any questions.
9. Are you a committee chair or creative parent? We need volunteers to sign up to reserve the showcase in the front entrance to decorate throughout the year. The reservation is for a two-week block. Advertise an event, decorate for a holiday or season. The sky's the limit! Please be sure to take down your decorations at the end of the two week slot so the next person is ready to go. Thanks. Sign up here: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/60b0e48aeaf0-showcase
10. Giant A+ Rewards program will be beginning soon. Please go to Giant's website http://giantfood.com/aplus/register-card/ to register your bonus card to earn money for Pocopson. Every year Giant gives back over $1000 to Pocopson because parents register their bonus card and designate Pocopson (#25843) as the recipient. It does not affect gas reward points. We typically have under 100 registered cards. Imagine how much we could earn if every parent who shops at Giant registers his/her card. It's free money for our school!!
11. The Pocopson Library is need of L.O.V.E. (Library Operations Volunteers Extraordinaire) again this year. Duties include:
- Helping students find books
- Checking books in and out
- Re-shelving books
- Shelf reading
No experience necessary. . .training provided!
Shifts are 9:15-11:30 or 1:15-3:15 every other week. If you cannot commit to every other week and would still like to volunteer, please let Eva in the library know. Use this link to sign up: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/60b0e48aeaf0-library1
News: In Our District
1. UCFSD coat drive: UCFSD Community Service gives away gently used warm coats, fleece jackets, hats, mittens/gloves and snow pants to local families in need. Donated items can be dropped off in the lobbies of any of the UCF district schools now until Thursday 12/17. Items should be clean and in good condition. All styles and sizes are needed. New items are also gladly accepted!
1. Unionville Ice Hockey Club Holiday Fundraiser: We are excited to announce that this year we are sponsoring a "Holiday Greens Fundraiser" to support the Unionville Ice Hockey Club. Our hope is to raise money to support ice time and league fees moving forward and also to ensure that any child within the Unionville Chadds Ford School District that desires to play the great game of hockey can afford to do so.
In order to do this we need your help! This year the club has decided to keep the fundraiser simple. All sales are processed online via our personalized and secure fundraiser website. There are a number of beautiful items to choose from including holiday wreaths, centerpieces, greens and other accessories. Shipping is included in the price you see online and you can choose your ship date to ensure you receive the freshest products delivered right to your door. The best part is the club will receive 20% of every purchase made.Just click on the link below to make your purchase! https://www.lynchcreekfundraising.com/campaigns/32216unionvilleicehockeyclub
2. If you want to add information to our Around Our School communications, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. For Community News, please watch for the UCF This Week emails. The Community Bulletin Board is also linked on our PES Home Page.
Unionville-Chadds Ford School District would like to continue connecting with you via email. If you prefer to be removed from our list, please contact Unionville-Chadds Ford School District directly. To stop receiving all email messages distributed through our SchoolMessenger service, follow this link and confirm: Unsubscribe
SchoolMessenger is a notification service used by the nation's leading school systems to connect with parents, students and staff through voice, SMS text, email, and social media.