Pocopson Elementary School Families,
Please take a moment to review the Communications Packet, which is also found on our PES website.
News: In Our Building
1. A thank you from the Trapani family:
Dear Unionville Chadds-Ford students and families,
Last week we were presented with many wonderful toys, games and books for our 3 boys to help replace some of the things that were lost in our recent house fire. We wanted to extend a sincere thank you and let you know how much we appreciate the donations, thoughts and prayers we have received. The boys were really excited to see some of their favorite items and some new ones too! We also want to recognize two outstanding young boys, Adam Schaeffer and Andrew Fraser, for organizing the drive! What a beautiful gesture!
Your thoughtfulness and caring has helped to take some of the stress and worry away from us and our boys. Thank you again!
David & Jocelyn Trapani
2. Reminder: Pledges are now due for the Patriot Pride Fun Run! Please send checks made out to PEPTO to school with your child or log on to funrun.com to pay by credit card. Thank you for supporting our school!
3. Book Swap - Book Swap is HERE! We are accepting book donations this week (Oct 5-7), and students will choose "new" books next week (Oct 13-15). See flyer in the Communications Packet for details. Please click on the link below to sign up for volunteer slots:
4. PTO Meeting: Please join us at the PTO meeting this Thursday, 10/8, at 9:30 in the PES library. Bring a friend who has never attended a PES PTO meeting and you will be entered together in a drawing. The winners will each receive a $10 gift card. Come join us!
5. Due to the popularity of the French class – beginner level, we are adding a new class on Monday mornings at 8.00am.
We will be able to take few more kids for this class.
If you are interested please let us know very quickly – before October 15th; write to Anne Sweeney email@example.com
6. Science Explorers After-School Science Club at Pocopson Elementary for Grades 1-5: The second club of the school year is set to begin on Oct 20th!! Science Club will meet on Tuesdays in Pocopson Elementary's Science Lab after school from 3:30 to 4:30 and is available to students in 1st to 5th grade. The second club topic is ABRACADABRA:
Hocus Pokus, you're the focus, as you amaze and astound your friends with some awesome science magic! Master the art of illusion and discover the scientific secrets behind these tricks. Use your newfound skills to make an egg sink or float on command, create invisible ink, make water disappear, and shock your family and friends when you walk through a piece of regular copy paper!
Club topics later in the year include Burps/Belches/Bad Breath, Freaky Physics, Secrets of Ancient Egypt and Is There a Doctor in the House. Please visit www.scienceexplorers.com and click on After-school clubs for more information on club dates, cost or to register your child. Class size is limited to 20 students per club...so, please register early to guarantee your child a spot.
Please contact Jill Shinn at firstname.lastname@example.org or 609.315.6492 with any questions.
7. Author Visit: Best Selling author, Michelle Knudsen, will be visiting Pocopson on November 13. Once agin, Mrs. Thomas has partnered with Chester County Book Company to provide you the opportunity to pre-order signed copies of Knudsen's books. All orders are due OCTOBER 23. Checks payable to Pocopson Elementary School. Please see communication packet for order form.
8. Box Tops Collection: The first semi-annual Box Tops for Education contest is happening this month! Please check the expiration dates and trim all your box tops. Put them in an envelope or zip lock bag and send via backpack express. Each class has a container for the kids to deposit their box tops. The class with the most box tops wins a pajama day and a movie. Any class that collects 500 or more box tops will win a pajama day. Please have all your box tops submitted byOctober 24th.
9. PES PARENTS: Art in Action is HERE! We need you to make it happen! Parent Volunteers DO NOT need to be Art Savvy to volunteer! Come spend a half hour with your child in an Art Class!
Please Volunteer for one or both classroom opportunities (45 minutes of your time)
Art in Action takes place in the Art Room during Art Special.
Nov 2-10, Part 1: Art History Presentation -Parent Volunteers will facilitate a smart board presentation
***Nov 11-18, Part 2: Hands On Project- Parent Volunteers guide the students through the project, ensuring focus and completion of project in class.
***(PART TWO WILL BE ADDED SHORTLY- PLEASE STAY TUNED)
STAY TUNED FOR ART IN ACTION TRAINING DATES. PROJECTS WILL BE REVIEWED IN TRAININGS.
10. Are you a committee chair or creative parent? We need volunteers to sign up to reserve the showcase in the front entrance to decorate throughout the year. The reservation is for a two-week block. Advertise an event, decorate for a holiday or season. The sky's the limit! Please be sure to take down your decorations at the end of the two week slot so the next person is ready to go. Thanks. Sign up here: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/60b0e48aeaf0-showcase
11. Giant A+ Rewards program will be beginning soon. Please go to Giant's website http://giantfood.com/aplus/register-card/ to register your bonus card to earn money for Pocopson. Every year Giant gives back over $1000 to Pocopson because parents register their bonus card and designate Pocopson (#25843) as the recipient. It does not affect gas reward points. We typically have under 100 registered cards. Imagine how much we could earn if every parent who shops at Giant registers his/her card. It's free money for our school!!
12. The Pocopson Library is need of L.O.V.E. (Library Operations Volunteers Extraordinaire) again this year. Duties include:
- Helping students find books
- Checking books in and out
- Re-shelving books
- Shelf reading
No experience necessary. . .training provided!
Shifts are 9:15-11:30 or 1:15-3:15 every other week. If you cannot commit to every other week and would still like to volunteer, please let Eva in the library know. Use this link to sign up: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/60b0e48aeaf0-library1
News: In Our District
1. Parenting Workshop - Conscious Parenting
Do you wonder if you are a good parent?
Do you want to make the best decisions for your family?
Do you long to feel more confident in your parenting?
Do you want to connect with your child and have a better relationship?
Join us for a valuable 4-week workshop on Conscious Parenting. This event is sponsored by the Unionville Chadds Ford Education Foundation and the FOCUS committee. It is free and open to all parents in the UCFSD community.
Come to one, come to all ~ please register your attendance.
Tuesdays, October. 6, 13, 20,& 27 2015 // 7:00-8:30 pm
Hillendale Elementary, 1850 Hillendale Road, Chadds Ford, PA 19317
To Register: www.focus-parenting.eventbrite.com
Workshops are being led by PCI Certified Parent Coaches® Sue DeCaro and Erin Taylor, MA
2. Unionville Chadds Ford Education Foundation is sponsoring a Family Night at Northbrook Marketplace on Friday, October 16, from 6:30 to 8:00 PM. Enjoy S'mores with your family while visiting with friends and learning about The Education Foundation. This is a FREE event to families in the Unionville Chadds Ford School District. Fall items available for purchase: Mums, Pumpkins & Hay. All proceeds will benefit Unionville Chadds Ford Education Foundation.
3. Are you overdue for a night out? Come out & support UHS Women's Soccer on Wednesday, October 7th. The team makes a percentage off of the money spent that day. The time goes from 6:00 PM to 9:30 PM. Just say you are there supporting "UHS Women's Soccer" and the rebate is applied.
Kennett Brewing Company, 109 S. Broad Street, Kennett Square
Parking is fine anywhere around thempermit doesn't apply after 5:00 PM
4. In our ongoing efforts to educate our young people of the consequences of drug/alcohol abuse, we are pleased to inform you that the Chester County NOPE (Narcotics Overdose Prevention and Education) Task Force will be presenting to our 7th and 8th grade students on Tuesday, October 13, 2015 and to our high school students on Wednesday, October 14, 2015. A parent / community program will occur on Wednesday evening, October 14th from 7:00 PM to 8:30 PM in the UHS auditorium. This program comes to us through the efforts and support of the Unionville Chadds Ford Education Foundation and our FOCUS (Family Outreach Committee of Unionville Schools) Organization.
NOPE's mission is to diminish the frequency and impact of overdose death through community education, family support and purposeful advocacy. For more information regarding the NOPE Task Force or to speak with a Chester County NOPE representative, please call 484-444-0412or email@example.com NOPE Task Force Headquarters can be contacted at 561-478-1055 or visit their website at www.nopetaskforce.org.
5. 2nd Annual CMMD 5K Run for Cancer. On November 7, we are hosting our second annual "This Run's Personal"--Team CMMD 5k and 1 mile walk in Downingtown. UCFSD is one of several districts promoting this event. The organizers will sponsor a free ice cream social for the school that has the most entrants! Staff and students are invited to participate. The more registrants we have, the more families we can help.
Please register here: https://secondwind.webconnex.com/CMMD
The code for registration .....PES
6. UCF Education Foundation: Please designate UCFEF in the United Way Campaign. Charitable Giving Campaigns are starting at many local companies and at the United Way of Southern Chester County. Please consider donating specifically to the Unionville-Chadds Ford Education Foundation. You can designate UCFEF as the recipient of your funds by using our tax ID: 23-2806707. We directly support projects and programs in all six schools. Since some companies match employee donations given through workplace campaigns, it's a means to increase the funding to our schools.
7. October 31 – Hillendale's Halloween Husky Hustle 5k & Fun Run. This event is full of fun for the whole family – races, music, dancing, inflatables and more.
5K Race Time – 9am (Fun Run starts immediately after) *1850 Hillendale Road $25 for 5K & $15 for Fun Run. Click Here to Register!
1. Alice In Wonderland Auditions at Carousel Performing Arts Center. Auditions will be held Saturday, October 10th and Sunday, October 11th from1:30 to 4:00 PM. Please check the Communications Packet to find the audition notice with all the particulars. Please contact the studio to schedule an audition appointment (610-444-1948).
2. Camp Spookynaw presents 3 Haunted attractions; The Camp Tour: 10 buildings of scary fun, Beneath Cabin 13: a nightmare filled maze, and The Hayride through terror filled woods. Buy tickets ONLINE. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions. Every weekend in October.
Pack your bags, grab a friend, and hug your family goodbye. Everyone's scared their first night at camp...
3. Dr. Sam Goldstein, Neuropsychologist, will be facilitating a presentation for parents at the Chester County Intermediate Unit on Monday, Nov. 2 from 7:00 to 9:00PM. The topic will be "Promoting Resilience in Our Children and Ourselves." Please see the flyer in our Communications Packet. Parents can register using the following link: www.cciu.org/samgoldstein. There is no charge to attend.
4. If you want to add information to our Around Our School communications, please email us at email@example.com. For Community News, please watch for the UCF This Week emails. The Community Bulletin Board is also linked on our PES Home Page.
Unionville-Chadds Ford School District would like to continue connecting with you via email. If you prefer to be removed from our list, please contact Unionville-Chadds Ford School District directly. To stop receiving all email messages distributed through our SchoolMessenger service, follow this link and confirm: Unsubscribe
SchoolMessenger is a notification service used by the nation's leading school systems to connect with parents, students and staff through voice, SMS text, email, and social media.