Pocopson Elementary School Families,
Please take a moment to review the Communications Packet, which is also found on our PES website.
News: In Our Building
1. Square 1 Art Time is Here!
You should have received your child's Square 1 Art order packet in your child's backpack. The order packet includes a picture of your child's artwork along with items that are available for purchase. Orders can be placed online www.square1art.com or please send the completed order form back to the school in an envelope marked "Square 1 Art" with checks payable to "Square 1 Art".
This year we have an awesome class prize… the class with the highest participation % will win a Tie-Dye T-Shirt Party!
Also, if 50% of the school places an order the entire school will participate in creating the school's very own "Jackson Pollock" masterpiece that will be displayed in the school!
Orders due by October 30th. Please email Kelly Hoffmann with any questions email@example.com
2. Coins for Kids: Community Service Project, Octoberber 26 – 30, 2015
Students – bring in your coins for this annual event to raise money to support our sister school Stonehurst Hills Elementary and other Community Service projects.
Each grade has a jar for their pennies. The goal is to have the MOST PENNIES in your jar. Any silver coins or bills put in the jar count against the total pennies.
So put pennies in YOUR class jar and put silver in the OTHER classes jars.
3. Box Tops Collection: The first semi-annual Box Tops for Education contest is happening now! Please check the expiration dates and trim all your box tops. Put them in an envelope or zip lock bag and send via backpack express. Each class has a container for the kids to deposit their box tops. The class with the most box tops wins a pajama day and a movie. Any class that collects 500 or more box tops will win a pajama day. Please have all your box tops submitted by October 24th.
4. Spirit Wear sales run now through October 23, 2016. Order forms were sent home with all students last week.
We will be offering several items this year again—short sleeve t-shirts, baseball style t-shirts, polyester performance t-shirts, polyester performance hoodies, hockey style lace up hoodies, shorts, and flannel pocketed pj pants. Blank size samples are available to try on for sizing in the PES lobby. With the exception of the hockey style hoodie, all merchandise is available in both youth and adult sizes. The hockey hoodie is available in adult sizes XXS-XXL.
Merchandise should be delivered approximately November 9, 2015. Think ahead and order some PES Spirit Wear as Holiday gifts!!!!
During this 1 hour afterschool class we will use LEGO® bricks to introduce your child to the world of Science, Technology and Engineering. We will cover fascinating topics such as Space, Inventions, Animals, Transportation and many others. During this class your child will learn a new science concept and get to build a LEGO Model which demonstrates that principle. They could build a moving satellite, a walking monkey or a spinning helicopter. Our goal is to provide a fun educational program that inspires your young builder to new heights. Appropriate for age 5+. The Themes/builds are not repeated for at least 2 years. Appropriate for age 5+. To register please visit www.bricks4kidz.com/exton or call 484 557 3092.
6. Flu vaccine for UCFSD: UCF is hosting a clinic that allows pre-registration and same day registration for a flu vaccine. The clinic is open to the entire school community, including students, staff and families. The clinic will be located in the UHS cafeteria on Thursday Oct 22nd from 2:30 - 6:30. Online pre-registration is encouraged.
7. Author Visit: Best Selling author, Michelle Knudsen, will be visiting Pocopson on November 13. Once agin, Mrs. Thomas has partnered with Chester County Book Company to provide you the opportunity to pre-order signed copies of Knudsen's books. All orders are due OCTOBER 23. Checks payable to Pocopson Elementary School. Please see communication packet for order form.
8. Nominate your favorite PES teacher: Show your school spirit today by nominating the great teachers at your school. The Citadel Heart of Learning Award is a teaching excellence award for Chester County teachers. Each year, 15 finalists and three overall winners are selected for their outstanding contribution to the community through teaching. All finalists and winners are honored with an award, cash prizes and a night of celebration at the annual awards banquet. Students, parents, teachers, administrators or anyone in the community can nominate a teacher at www.CitadelHeartofLearning.com. Nominations are open through December 31.
After the nomination period ends, the Citadel Heart of Learning Award committee will tally the total number of nominations by school. The top three schools will earn cash for events or assemblies: 1st Place - $1500, 2nd Place - $750, 3rd Place - $500.
9. Art in Action is HERE! We need you to make it happen! Parent Volunteers DO NOT need to be Art Savvy to volunteer! Come spend a half hour with your child in an Art Class! Please Volunteer for one or both classroom opportunities (45 minutes of your time)
Art in Action takes place in the Art Room during Art Special.
Nov 2-10, Part 1: Art History Presentation -Parent Volunteers will facilitate a smart board presentation
***Nov 11-18, Part 2: Hands On Project- Parent Volunteers guide the students through the project, ensuring focus and completion of project in class.
***(PART TWO WILL BE ADDED SHORTLY- PLEASE STAY TUNED)
10. Are you a committee chair or creative parent? We need volunteers to sign up to reserve the showcase in the front entrance to decorate throughout the year. The reservation is for a two-week block. Advertise an event, decorate for a holiday or season. The sky's the limit! Please be sure to take down your decorations at the end of the two week slot so the next person is ready to go. Thanks. Sign up here: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/60b0e48aeaf0-showcase
11. Giant A+ Rewards program will be beginning soon. Please go to Giant's website http://giantfood.com/aplus/register-card/ to register your bonus card to earn money for Pocopson. Every year Giant gives back over $1000 to Pocopson because parents register their bonus card and designate Pocopson (#25843) as the recipient. It does not affect gas reward points. We typically have under 100 registered cards. Imagine how much we could earn if every parent who shops at Giant registers his/her card. It's free money for our school!!
12. The Pocopson Library is need of L.O.V.E. (Library Operations Volunteers Extraordinaire) again this year. Duties include:
- Helping students find books
- Checking books in and out
- Re-shelving books
- Shelf reading
No experience necessary. . .training provided!
Shifts are 9:15-11:30 or 1:15-3:15 every other week. If you cannot commit to every other week and would still like to volunteer, please let Eva in the library know. Use this link to sign up: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/60b0e48aeaf0-library1
News: In Our District
1. 2nd Annual CMMD 5K Run for Cancer. On November 7, we are hosting our second annual "This Run's Personal"--Team CMMD 5k and 1 mile walk in Downingtown. UCFSD is one of several districts promoting this event. The organizers will sponsor a free ice cream social for the school that has the most entrants! Staff and students are invited to participate. The more registrants we have, the more families we can help.
Please register here: https://secondwind.webconnex.com/CMMD
The code for registration .....PES
2. UCF Education Foundation: Please designate UCFEF in the United Way Campaign. Charitable Giving Campaigns are starting at many local companies and at the United Way of Southern Chester County. Please consider donating specifically to the Unionville-Chadds Ford Education Foundation. You can designate UCFEF as the recipient of your funds by using our tax ID: 23-2806707. We directly support projects and programs in all six schools. Since some companies match employee donations given through workplace campaigns, it's a means to increase the funding to our schools.
1. Piano and Vocal lessons in the comfort of your home!
Allison Landon is a 2009 graduate from UHS. She is a recent bachelor of music graduate from The University of the Arts in Philadelphia. She has had professional training as both a pianist and vocalist in classical and jazz styles for over 15 years. As an active vocalist, Allison has performed at local festivals, sports events, and participated in professional ensembles. Lessons consist of weekly repertoire, scales and an emphasis on understanding music theory through written work and performance. Allison takes a positive, fun and encouraging approach to teaching piano to all of her students!
2. Dr. Sam Goldstein, Neuropsychologist, will be facilitating a presentation for parents at the Chester County Intermediate Unit on Monday, Nov. 2 from 7:00 to 9:00PM. The topic will be "Promoting Resilience in Our Children and Ourselves." Please see the flyer in our Communications Packet. Parents can register using the following link: www.cciu.org/samgoldstein. There is no charge to attend.
3. If you want to add information to our Around Our School communications, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. For Community News, please watch for the UCF This Week emails. The Community Bulletin Board is also linked on our PES Home Page.
Unionville-Chadds Ford School District would like to continue connecting with you via email. If you prefer to be removed from our list, please contact Unionville-Chadds Ford School District directly. To stop receiving all email messages distributed through our SchoolMessenger service, follow this link and confirm: Unsubscribe
SchoolMessenger is a notification service used by the nation's leading school systems to connect with parents, students and staff through voice, SMS text, email, and social media.