Pocopson Elementary School Families,
Please take a moment to review the Communications Packet, which is also found on our PES website.
News: In Our Building
1. Book Swap - Book Swap is HERE! Students will choose "new" books this week (Oct 13-15). See flyer in the Communications Packet for details. Please click on the link below to sign up for volunteer slots:
2. Nominate your favorite PES teacher for the Citadel Heart of Learning Award now! The nomination period is now through December 31, 2015. The Citadel Heart of Learning Award recognizes excellence in the classroom by honoring teachers who go above and beyond the call of duty for their students.
Fifteen teachers will be selected as finalists, including one teacher from our district. All 15 finalists will be recognized at an awards banquet and receive a $500 award. One high school, one middle school and one elementary school teacher will be selected from among the 15 finalists and presented with the Citadel Heart of Learning Award. Each of the three recipients will be presented an award, prize package and a $1500 award. Further details available here:https://www.citadelbanking.com/why-choose-citadel/community-involvement/citadel-heart-of-learning-details/
The completed nomination can be submitted via mail or online by filling out the Citadel Heart of Learning Award Nomination form.
3. Square 1 Art time is Here! Please be on the lookout for your child's Square 1 Art order packets in their backpacks this week! The order packet will include a picture of your child's artwork along with items that are available for purchase. Orders can be placed online www.square1art.com or please send the completed order form back to the school in an envelope marked "Square 1 Art" with checks payable to "Square 1 Art".
This year we have an awesome class prize… the class with the highest participation % will win a Tie-Dye T-Shirt Party!
Also, if 50% of the school places an order the entire school will participate in creating the school's very own "Jackson Pollock" masterpiece that will be displayed in the school!
Orders due by October 30th. Please email Kelly Hoffmann with any questions firstname.lastname@example.org
4. Spirit Wear sales begin October 13, 2015 and run through October 23, 2016. Order forms will go home with all students on Tuesday, October 13.
We will be offering several items this year again—short sleeve t-shirts, baseball style t-shirts, polyester performance t-shirts, polyester performance hoodies, hockey style lace up hoodies, shorts, and flannel pocketed pj pants. Blank size samples are available to try on for sizing in the PES lobby. With the exception of the hockey style hoodie, all merchandise is available in both youth and adult sizes. The hockey hoodie is available in adult sizes XXS-XXL.
Merchandise should be delivered approximately November 9, 2015. Think ahead and order some PES Spirit Wear as Holiday gifts!!!!
5. Flu vaccine for UCFSD: UCF is hosting a clinic that allows pre-registration and same day registration for a flu vaccine. The clinic is open to the entire school community, including students, staff and families. The clinic will be located in the UHS cafeteria on Thursday Oct 22nd from 2:30 - 6:30. Online pre-registration is encouraged.
6. Box Tops Collection: The first semi-annual Box Tops for Education contest is happening this month! Please check the expiration dates and trim all your box tops. Put them in an envelope or zip lock bag and send via backpack express. Each class has a container for the kids to deposit their box tops. The class with the most box tops wins a pajama day and a movie. Any class that collects 500 or more box tops will win a pajama day. Please have all your box tops submitted by October 24th.
7. Reminder: Pledges are now due for the Patriot Pride Fun Run! Please send checks made out to PEPTO to school with your child or log on to funrun.com to pay by credit card. Thank you for supporting our school!
8. Due to the popularity of the French class – beginner level, we are adding a new class on Monday mornings at 8.00am. We will be able to take a few more kids for this class.
If you are interested please let us know very quickly – before October 15th; write to Anne Sweeney email@example.com
9. Author Visit: Best Selling author, Michelle Knudsen, will be visiting Pocopson on November 13. Once agin, Mrs. Thomas has partnered with Chester County Book Company to provide you the opportunity to pre-order signed copies of Knudsen's books. All orders are due OCTOBER 23. Checks payable to Pocopson Elementary School. Please see communication packet for order form.
10. Art in Action is HERE! We need you to make it happen! Parent Volunteers DO NOT need to be Art Savvy to volunteer! Come spend a half hour with your child in an Art Class! Please Volunteer for one or both classroom opportunities (45 minutes of your time)
Art in Action takes place in the Art Room during Art Special.
Nov 2-10, Part 1: Art History Presentation -Parent Volunteers will facilitate a smart board presentation
***Nov 11-18, Part 2: Hands On Project- Parent Volunteers guide the students through the project, ensuring focus and completion of project in class.
***(PART TWO WILL BE ADDED SHORTLY- PLEASE STAY TUNED)
11. Are you a committee chair or creative parent? We need volunteers to sign up to reserve the showcase in the front entrance to decorate throughout the year. The reservation is for a two-week block. Advertise an event, decorate for a holiday or season. The sky's the limit! Please be sure to take down your decorations at the end of the two week slot so the next person is ready to go. Thanks. Sign up here: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/60b0e48aeaf0-showcase
12. Giant A+ Rewards program will be beginning soon. Please go to Giant's website http://giantfood.com/aplus/register-card/ to register your bonus card to earn money for Pocopson. Every year Giant gives back over $1000 to Pocopson because parents register their bonus card and designate Pocopson (#25843) as the recipient. It does not affect gas reward points. We typically have under 100 registered cards. Imagine how much we could earn if every parent who shops at Giant registers his/her card. It's free money for our school!!
13. The Pocopson Library is need of L.O.V.E. (Library Operations Volunteers Extraordinaire) again this year. Duties include:
- Helping students find books
- Checking books in and out
- Re-shelving books
- Shelf reading
No experience necessary. . .training provided!
Shifts are 9:15-11:30 or 1:15-3:15 every other week. If you cannot commit to every other week and would still like to volunteer, please let Eva in the library know. Use this link to sign up: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/60b0e48aeaf0-library1
News: In Our District
1. Unionville Chadds Ford Education Foundation is sponsoring a Family Night at Northbrook Marketplace on Friday, October 16, from 6:30 to 8:00 PM. Enjoy S'mores with your family while visiting with friends and learning about The Education Foundation. This is a FREE event to families in the Unionville Chadds Ford School District. Fall items available for purchase: Mums, Pumpkins & Hay. All proceeds will benefit Unionville Chadds Ford Education Foundation.
2. In our ongoing efforts to educate our young people of the consequences of drug/alcohol abuse, we are pleased to inform you that the Chester County NOPE (Narcotics Overdose Prevention and Education) Task Force will be presenting to our 7th and 8th grade students on Tuesday, October 13, 2015 and to our high school students on Wednesday, October 14, 2015. A parent / community program will occur on Wednesday evening, October 14th from 7:00 PM to 8:30 PM in the UHS auditorium. This program comes to us through the efforts and support of the Unionville Chadds Ford Education Foundation and our FOCUS (Family Outreach Committee of Unionville Schools) Organization.
NOPE's mission is to diminish the frequency and impact of overdose death through community education, family support and purposeful advocacy. For more information regarding the NOPE Task Force or to speak with a Chester County NOPE representative, please call 484-444-0412or firstname.lastname@example.org NOPE Task Force Headquarters can be contacted at 561-478-1055 or visit their website at www.nopetaskforce.org.
3. 2nd Annual CMMD 5K Run for Cancer. On November 7, we are hosting our second annual "This Run's Personal"--Team CMMD 5k and 1 mile walk in Downingtown. UCFSD is one of several districts promoting this event. The organizers will sponsor a free ice cream social for the school that has the most entrants! Staff and students are invited to participate. The more registrants we have, the more families we can help.
Please register here: https://secondwind.webconnex.com/CMMD
The code for registration .....PES
4. UCF Education Foundation: Please designate UCFEF in the United Way Campaign. Charitable Giving Campaigns are starting at many local companies and at the United Way of Southern Chester County. Please consider donating specifically to the Unionville-Chadds Ford Education Foundation. You can designate UCFEF as the recipient of your funds by using our tax ID: 23-2806707. We directly support projects and programs in all six schools. Since some companies match employee donations given through workplace campaigns, it's a means to increase the funding to our schools.
1. Dr. Sam Goldstein, Neuropsychologist, will be facilitating a presentation for parents at the Chester County Intermediate Unit on Monday, Nov. 2 from 7:00 to 9:00PM. The topic will be "Promoting Resilience in Our Children and Ourselves." Please see the flyer in our Communications Packet. Parents can register using the following link: www.cciu.org/samgoldstein. There is no charge to attend.
2. If you want to add information to our Around Our School communications, please email us at email@example.com. For Community News, please watch for the UCF This Week emails. The Community Bulletin Board is also linked on our PES Home Page.
Unionville-Chadds Ford School District would like to continue connecting with you via email. If you prefer to be removed from our list, please contact Unionville-Chadds Ford School District directly. To stop receiving all email messages distributed through our SchoolMessenger service, follow this link and confirm: Unsubscribe
SchoolMessenger is a notification service used by the nation's leading school systems to connect with parents, students and staff through voice, SMS text, email, and social media.