Pocopson Elementary School Families,
There is a lot going on at school and in the district. Among the most note-worthy items below.....a challenge to get Mr. Beaver in a dunk tank!
Please take a moment to review the Communications Packet, which is also found on our PES website.
News: In Our Building
1. Boosterthon 50 States Challenge! Pocopson is over halfway there! If PES students are able to get pledges from ALL 50 states, Mr. Beaver agreed to sit in a dunk tank at Friday evening's Movie Night and allow students to try and dunk him. Take a look at the states we are missing to see if you can help our students meet the challenge! Your support is truly appreciated.
2. Boosterthon Fun Run is Friday, September 25th. There are 3 runs: Our AM kindergartens ONLY will run from 10:15-11:15; PM kindergarteners, Grade 1 and Grade 2 will run from 1:00-2:00; and Grade 3, Grade 4, and Grade 5 will run from 2:00-3:00. Please come spend the day cheering on our runners! We also need parent volunteers to help pass out water and mark laps. If you would like to help, go to this Sign Up Genius link to volunteer:
3. Boosterthon Pledge Counting! We need volunteers to help us enter pledges (cash and checks) in the Boosterthon software system on Friday, October 2nd at 9 am! We will teach you what to do! Please see the sign up genius link for more details!
4. Family Outdoor Movie Night is Friday, September 25th at 7:00 pm. Bring a blanket or chair and join us for this special family event. We will be showing Paddington. Water and snacks will be available for purchase. In case of rain, we will move the event indoors. If PES students are able to get pledges from ALL 50 states, Mr. Beaver agreed to sit in a dunk tank during Movie Night and allow students to try and dunk him!
5. Pocopson Picture Day is Wednesday, September 30th.
SMILE! School pictures are scheduled for Wed., Sept. 30th. Mark your calendars! The fall school picture will be their individual picture for the yearbook. This is also your child's only opportunity to be included in the class photo.
Picture order forms will be sent home about a week prior to picture day. This form and payment are required on picture day. Please fill out the form completely including a pose and background. The completed form and payment are required on picture day. You do not have to purchase pictures, but every child will be photographed so they can be included in the yearbook. Picture retake day is scheduled for Monday, Nov. 9th.
Volunteers are needed to help keep the photography process running smoothly. Please consider spending a few hours of Wednesday, September 30th at PES. Sign up at www.SignUpGenius.com/go/10C0C48ADAA28A46-pesschool or email Dara Main at email@example.com if you are interested in helping out or if you have any questions.
6. Mrs. Einthoven needs assistance with the Health Screenings on Wednesday, September 30 during school picture day. After students have their photo taken, they have their height and weight checked. Mrs. Einthoven needs help recording heights and weights, keeping students in line and helping younger students tie shoes. Please consider helping our school nurse by signing up here http://www.signupgenius.com/go/60b0e48aeaf0-health1.
7. Book Swap - Our annual book swap is coming up in October! We need volunteers to help collect donations and issue Book Bucks, and help student purchase "new" books to add to their home library. See flyer in the Communications Packet for dates and details. Please click on the link below to sign up for volunteer slots:
8. Attention New Pocopson Parents: If you are new to Pocopson or just want to come and meet your new neighbors....The New Parent Partner Committee invites you to an informal Meet and Greet sponsored by the Pocopson PTO, Monday evening 6:30-8:30pm October 5th 2015 at the Northbrook Marketplace http://northbrookmarketplace.com, 1805 Unionville-Wawaset Road, West Chester, Pa 19382 RSVP to: Christy Pickar firstname.lastname@example.org or Mickey Bailey email@example.com so that we may get a head count. Looking forward to meeting all of you.
9. "It's not what happens to you. It's what you do with what happens to you." Chris Waddell, Paralympian, author, and motivational speaker, will be presenting an assembly for Grades 3-5 during school on Friday, October 2nd. Please mark your calendars for a special family event to be held on Thursday, October 1st at 7:00 pm. Doors to open at 6:30 pm. One Revolution, a documentary which captures his ascent of Mt. Kilimanjaro, will be shown, followed by a Q&A session. This event will provide great background for the student assembly being held the following day. The documentary is appropriate for ages 8 and older, and all children must be accompanied by an adult.
10. 2015-16 Directory Notice: The deadline for inclusion in this year's directory has passed. Thank you for those who submitted your information through the google form. Directories are in the process of being composed by the district office. They will be sent home with your child when they are ready for distribution. Remember, every family will be receiving one copy of the directory, compliments of the Pocopson PTO.
11. Are you a committee chair or creative parent? We need volunteers to sign up to reserve the showcase in the front entrance to decorate throughout the year. The reservation is for a two-week block. Advertise an event, decorate for a holiday or season. The sky's the limit! Please be sure to take down your decorations at the end of the two week slot so the next person is ready to go. Thanks. Sign up here: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/60b0e48aeaf0-showcase
12. The Pocopson Library is need of L.O.V.E. (Library Operations Volunteers Extraordinaire) again this year. Duties include:
- Helping students find books
- Checking books in and out
- Re-shelving books
- Shelf reading
No experience necessary. . .training provided!
Shifts are 9:15-11:30 or 1:15-3:15 every other week. If you cannot commit to every other week and would still like to volunteer, please let Eva in the library know. Use this link to sign up: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/60b0e48aeaf0-library1
13. This Thursday night, September 24, is the First Cub Scout Meeting of the year, as well as open enrollment. The theme for this first meeting is "Hungry, Hungry Scouts!" (Think Hungry, Hungry Hippos with kids!!!)
Cub Scouts offers parents/sons great, inexpensive opportunities to spend time with each other, away from electronics-- in the community and out of doors! (and we are very family friendly with smaller siblings and entire families too!)
Our pack has several ELECTIVE activities each month that provide opportunities for our boys to grow, learn and become good well rounded young men! We hike, we camp, we do arts and crafts, we have the PINEWOOD DERBY, we visit community service organizations, etc.
The first meeting will be held from 6:45 – 8:00 p.m. on September 24 in the Pocopson Elementary cafeteria.
Boys in the 1st-5th grade can all join in on the fun! Come find out why we are the premiere pack in the county and hear about all of the fun things we have planned for the coming year and see why over eighty families at Pocopson participate in this award winning program.
14. PES Art In Action needs parent volunteers!!!! ART IN ACTION 2016 is right around the corner....stay tuned!
What is Art in Action? AIA is a parent-facilitated incremental Art-Enrichment Course that is exclusive to grades k-5 in the UCFSD. A great majority of the Permanent Art Collection in PES was created by students through Art in Action. The course evolves over two consecutive art classes.
Volunteers need not have an art background, just the skill set to guide the students and the desire to be a presence in your child's class!
PROGRAM DATES: November 2-18, 2015. Stay tuned for sign up genius.
THE PROGRAM RUNS IN TWO CYCLES, BOTH CYCLES TAKE PLACE DURING ART CLASS IN THE ART ROOM.
• CYCLE ONE: SLIDE SHOW PRESENTATION - (2) SLIDE SHOW PRESENTERS NEEDED FOR EACH CLASS. The presentation is already created and the facilitators objective is simply to engage the class with open ended questions.
• CYCLE TWO: HANDS ON PROJECT (6) VOLUNTEERS NEEDED FOR EACH CLASS. Volunteers will 'guide' the student through the project.
***dates subject to change due to field trips or incremental weather.
Art in Action Trainings for parent volunteers will be scheduled. Stay tuned for dates. We will quickly review the information, pass out binders, and demonstrate the project. If you are not able to attend, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com for info pack.
***As a reminder, please do not write in binders and leave binders with Mrs. Hage in the Art Room when presenting is completed.
15. Science Explorers After-School Science Club at Pocopson Elementary for Grades 1-5:
The first club of the school year is set to begin on September 29th!! Science Club will meet on Tuesdays in Pocopson Elementary's Science Lab after school from 3:30 to 4:30 and is available to students in 1st to 5th grade. The first club topic is MIX IT UP: We've picked our top 3 favorite hands-on science activities for this special 3-session club to celebrate our 15th Anniversary! This is a great program to try if you've never participated in Science Explorers before, or if you want to experience some favorites, this is for you! We'll take some chemistry, throw in little creativity, and mix in tons of fun! Create our ever popular foaming "Matter Monster", build your own motorized invention, and make groovy lava lamp test tubes!
Club topics later in the year include Abracadabra, Burps/Belches/Bad Breath, Freaky Physics, Secrets of Ancient Egypt and Is There a Doctor in the House. Please visit www.scienceexplorers.com and click on After-school clubs for more information on club dates, cost or to register your child. Class size is limited to 20 students per club...so, please register early to guarantee your child a spot.
Please contact Jill Shinn at firstname.lastname@example.org or 609.315.6492 with any questions.
News: In Our District
1. Vote for 6ABC High School Huddle Game of the Week
Vote for Unionville vs. West Chester Rustin on Friday, September 25th to be the 6ABCHigh School Huddle Game of the Week!
Our UHS football team has been selected as one of the choices for 6ABC's "High School Huddle Game of the Week" for Week 4 on Friday, September 25th. Now it's up to our students, faculty and fans to win the online vote. Our school and opponent will be pitted against one other game in the 6ABCviewing area. The game with the most votes will enjoy extended game highlights on the High School Huddle program which airs every Friday night following the Action News at 11pm.
Please get the word out to our fan base. This is a great way to get our supporters excited for the big game. Voting is free and easy to do. Here's how you can vote:
1) Go to 6abc.com/huddle and look for the "Vote for Game of the Week" section on the main page.
2) Vote for the Game of the Week (Unionville vs.West Chester Rustin at Rustin)
3) Then you can spread the word by inviting friends to vote also!
The voting period runs from now until NOON on game-day, Friday, September 25th. You can vote once per email address.
2. Parenting Workshop - Conscious Parenting
Do you wonder if you are a good parent?
Do you want to make the best decisions for your family?
Do you long to feel more confident in your parenting?
Do you want to connect with your child and have a better relationship?
Join us for a valuable 4-week workshop on Conscious Parenting. This event is sponsored by the Unionville Chadds Ford Education Foundation and the FOCUS committee. It is free and open to all parents in the UCFSD community.
Come to one, come to all ~ please register your attendance.
Tuesdays, October. 6, 13, 20,& 27 2015 // 7:00-8:30 pm
1850 Hillendale Road
Chadds Ford, PA 19317
Workshops are being led by PCI Certified Parent Coaches® Sue DeCaro and Erin Taylor, MA
3. UCF Education Foundation
Please designate UCFEF in the United Way Campaign Charitable Giving Campaigns are starting at many local companies and at the United Way of Southern Chester County. Please consider donating specifically to the Unionville-Chadds Ford Education Foundation. You can designate UCFEF as the recipient of your funds by using our tax ID: 23-2806707. We directly support projects and programs in all six schools. Since some companies match employee donations given through workplace campaigns, it's a means to increase the funding to our schools.
1. Camp Spookynaw presents 3 Haunted attractions; The Camp Tour: 10 buildings of scary fun, Beneath Cabin 13: a nightmare filled maze, and The Hayride through terror filled woods. Buy tickets ONLINE. Please contact email@example.com with any questions. Every weekend in October.
Pack your bags, grab a friend, and hug your family goodbye. Everyone's scared their first night at camp...
2. Dr. Sam Goldstein, Neuropsychologist, will be facilitating a presentation for parents at the Chester County Intermediate Unit on Monday, Nov. 2 from 7:00 to 9:00PM. The topic will be "Promoting Resilience in Our Children and Ourselves." Please see the flyer in our Communications Packet. Parents can register using the following link: www.cciu.org/samgoldstein. There is no charge to attend.
3. The 9th Annual Pocopson Founders Day to be held on Sunday, Sept. 27. This year's theme of "Harvesting a Great Community" promises to be a fun-filled community event open for all to attend, not just Pocopson Township residents. Many surprises are planned to delight all visitors of any age. Perhaps, if you are a Pocopson resident, you have seen the SAVE THE DATE postcard and have it affixed to the fridge as a reminder that the event will be held on Sunday, September 27, from 12-4 p.m. at Pocopson Park, 477 Locust Grove Road.
Please consider volunteering to help make this event the success it is. All high-school aged young adults can volunteer to count toward community service graduation requirements. If you are willing to help for a few hours for set up on Saturday, September 26, or during the event on Sunday, September 27, please contact Karen Cresta firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. If you want to add information to our Around Our School communications, please email us at email@example.com. For Community News, please watch for the UCF This Week emails. The Community Bulletin Board is also linked on our PES Home Page.
Unionville-Chadds Ford School District would like to continue connecting with you via email. If you prefer to be removed from our list, please contact Unionville-Chadds Ford School District directly. To stop receiving all email messages distributed through our SchoolMessenger service, follow this link and confirm: Unsubscribe
SchoolMessenger is a notification service used by the nation's leading school systems to connect with parents, students and staff through voice, SMS text, email, and social media.