Pocopson Elementary School Families,
Please take a moment to review the Communications Packet, which is also found on our PES website.
News: In Our Building
1. "It's not what happens to you. It's what you do with what happens to you." Chris Waddell, Paralympian, author, and motivational speaker, will be presenting an assembly for Grades 3-5 during school on Friday, October 2nd. Please mark your calendars for a special family event to be held on Thursday, October 1st at 7:00 pm. Doors to open at 6:30 pm. One Revolution, a documentary which captures his ascent of Mt. Kilimanjaro, will be shown, followed by a Q&A session. This event will provide great background for the student assembly being held the following day. The documentary is appropriate for ages 8 and older, and all children must be accompanied by an adult. More information and a flyer to come next week!
2. Boosterthon Fun Run is Friday, September 25th. There are 3 runs: Our AM kindergartens ONLY will run from 10:15-11:15; PM kindergarteners, Grade 1 and Grade 2 will run from 1:00-2:00; and Grade 3, Grade 4, and Grade 5 will run from 2:00-3:00. Please come spend the day cheering on our runners! We also need parent volunteers to help pass out water and mark laps. If you would like to help, go to this Sign Up Genius link to volunteer:
3. Foreign Language Enrichment Program at Pocopson Elementary School
We are extending the due date for the Foreign language registration by a week. All forms are due no later than Friday September 18th! The registration form is in the blue folder you've received from the PTO on open house night. You can also print the form (see the Communication Packet) and mail it with the check. Please send all the forms to Anne Sweeney, the address is listed in the form. Thank you.
4. 2015-2016 Directory Notice: This year, the Pocopson PTO will be providing a UCFSD directory, free of charge, to each family in our school. PLEASE make sure you enter your information through Parent Portal to make sure your family is included in the directory. Additional copies may be ordered if you'd like more than one. See the communications packet for the order form. Remember you ONLY need to fill out the form if you need more than the copy provided by the PTO.
If you would like to be included in the directory this year, you MUST fill out the google form below:
Directions for Inclusion in Directory - must be done by Sept 16 deadline. Click on the link below, enter family information and click submit.
5. Family Outdoor Movie Night is Friday, September 25th at 7:00 pm. Bring a blanket or chair and join us for this special family event. We will be showing Paddington. Water and snacks will be available for purchase. In case of rain, we will move the event indoors.
6. PES Art In Action needs parent volunteers!!!! ART IN ACTION 2016 is right around the corner....stay tuned!
What is Art in Action? AIA is a parent-facilitated incremental Art-Enrichment Course that is exclusive to grades k-5 in the UCFSD. A great majority of the Permanent Art Collection in PES was created by students through Art in Action. The course evolves over two consecutive art classes.
Volunteers need not have an art background, just the skill set to guide the students and the desire to be a presence in your child's class!
PROGRAM DATES: November 2-18, 2015. Stay tuned for sign up genius.
THE PROGRAM RUNS IN TWO CYCLES, BOTH CYCLES TAKE PLACE DURING ART CLASS IN THE ART ROOM.
• CYCLE ONE: SLIDE SHOW PRESENTATION - (2) SLIDE SHOW PRESENTERS NEEDED FOR EACH CLASS. The presentation is already created and the facilitators objective is simply to engage the class with open ended questions.
• CYCLE TWO: HANDS ON PROJECT (6) VOLUNTEERS NEEDED FOR EACH CLASS. Volunteers will 'guide' the student through the project.
***dates subject to change due to field trips or incremental weather.
Art in Action Trainings for parent volunteers will be scheduled. Stay tuned for dates. We will quickly review the information, pass out binders, and demonstrate the project. If you are not able to attend, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com for info pack.
***As a reminder, please do not write in binders and leave binders with Mrs. Hage in the Art Room when presenting is completed.
7. Science Explorers After-School Science Club at Pocopson Elementary for Grades 1-5:
The first club of the school year is set to begin on September 29th!! Science Club will meet on Tuesdays in Pocopson Elementary's Science Lab after school from 3:30 to 4:30 and is available to students in 1st to 5th grade. The first club topic is MIX IT UP: We've picked our top 3 favorite hands-on science activities for this special 3-session club to celebrate our 15th Anniversary! This is a great program to try if you've never participated in Science Explorers before, or if you want to experience some favorites, this is for you! We'll take some chemistry, throw in little creativity, and mix in tons of fun! Create our ever popular foaming "Matter Monster", build your own motorized invention, and make groovy lava lamp test tubes!
Club topics later in the year include Abracadabra, Burps/Belches/Bad Breath, Freaky Physics, Secrets of Ancient Egypt and Is There a Doctor in the House. Please visit www.scienceexplorers.com and click on After-school clubs for more information on club dates, cost or to register your child. Class size is limited to 20 students per club...so, please register early to guarantee your child a spot.
Please contact Jill Shinn at firstname.lastname@example.org or 609.315.6492 with any questions.
8. Cub Scout Open House and Sign Ups- - Bring your son and come see why the Pocopson Pack 231 is the most active and largest pack in the county!
Cub Scouts offers parents/sons great, inexpensive opportunities to spend time with each other-- in the community and out of doors! (and we are very family friendly with smaller siblings and entire families too!)
Our pack has several ELECTIVE activities each month that provide opportunities for our boys to grow, learn and become good, well rounded young men! We hike, we camp, we do arts and crafts, we have the PINEWOOD DERBY, we visit community service organizations, etc.
This year's open house is September 16th- 7-8 PM in the Pocopson Cafeteria. Boys in the 1st-5th grade can all join in on the fun! Come find out why we are the premiere pack in the county and hear about all of the fun things we have planned for the coming year. Parents will meet in the cafeteria while our kids have fun in the gym participating in organized games with the other kids/scouts.
News: In Our District
1. UCF Education Foundation
Please designate UCFEF in the United Way Campaign
Charitable Giving Campaigns are starting at many local companies and at the United Way of Southern Chester County. Please consider donating specifically to the Unionville-Chadds Ford Education Foundation. You can designate UCFEF as the recipient of your funds by using our tax ID: 23-2806707. We directly support projects and programs in all six schools. Since some companies match employee donations given through workplace campaigns, it's a means to increase the funding to our schools.
News: Sports & Miscellaneous
1. Dr. Sam Goldstein, Neuropsychologist, will be facilitating a presentation for parents at the Chester County Intermediate Unit on Monday, Nov. 2 from 7:00 to 9:00PM. The topic will be "Promoting Resilience in Our Children and Ourselves." Please see the Communications Packet for the flyer. Parents can register using the following link:www.cciu.org/samgoldstein. There is no charge to attend.
2. The 9th Annual Pocopson Founders Day to be held on Sunday, Sept. 27. This year's theme of "Harvesting a Great Community" promises to be a fun-filled community event open for all to attend, not just Pocopson Township residents. Many surprises are planned to delight all visitors of any age. Perhaps, if you are a Pocopson resident, you have seen the SAVE THE DATE postcard and have it affixed to the fridge as a reminder that the event will be held on Sunday, September 27, from 12-4 p.m. at Pocopson Park, 477 Locust Grove Road.
Please consider volunteering to help make this event the success it is. All high-school aged young adults can volunteer to count toward community service graduation requirements. If you are willing to help for a few hours for set up on Saturday, September 26, or during the event on Sunday, September 27, please contact Karen Cresta at email@example.com.
3. UHS Field Hockey Clinic - Saturday, September 12th: The UHS Field Hockey Clinic will be held on Saturday, September 12th. Join the Unionville High School field hockey teams and coaches to build your skills for the season. The clinic is for Grades 1 through 8 and will be held at the Unionville High School Stadium from 9AM - 12PM (8:30AM Check-In). The cost is $25.00 per player and includes a t-shirt if registered by September 1. Registration will be accepted after September 1 and at the door although t-shirt sizes and availability will be limited and will not be guaranteed.
Click here for an informational flyer and registration form. Sign up today!
4. If you want to add information to our Around Our School communications, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. For Community News, please watch for the UCF This Week emails. The Community Bulletin Board is also linked on our PES Home Page.
Unionville-Chadds Ford School District would like to continue connecting with you via email. If you prefer to be removed from our list, please contact Unionville-Chadds Ford School District directly. To stop receiving all email messages distributed through our SchoolMessenger service, follow this link and confirm: Unsubscribe
SchoolMessenger is a notification service used by the nation's leading school systems to connect with parents, students and staff through voice, SMS text, email, and social media.