Pocopson Elementary School Families,
Welcome to the 2015/2016 school year! Check out these weekly emails from the PTO, called "Around Our School", for the latest news at Pocopson and in our district. Here is what is happening this week and in the near future:
Please take a moment to review the Communications Packet, which is also found on our PES website.
News: In Our Building
1. Fall Open House/Back to School Night is on Wednesday, September 2nd at the following times:
5:00 to 6:00 pm for Kindergarten Parents
6:00 to 7:00 pm for Grades 1-2
7:30 to 8:30 pm for Grades 3-5
2. Our first PTO meeting this year will be held on Thursday, September 10th at 9:30 in the Library. If you've ever wanted to get involved, now is the time! Want to come and see how you can volunteer? Don't have time to volunteer yet, but want to find out what's going on in your child's school? Whether you have 5 minutes or 5 hours to give to the PTO, we're happy to have you! Coffee/tea and refreshments will be provided. Children are welcome! Cliff Beaver will be our guest speaker at this first meeting of the 2015-2016 school year. We hope to see you there!
3. Boosterthon Fun Run is Friday, September 25th. There are 3 runs: Our AM kindergartens ONLY will run from 10:15-11:15; PM kindergarteners, Grade 1 and Grade 2 will run from 1:00-2:00; and Grade 3, Grade 4, and Grade 5 will run from 2:00-3:00. Please come spend the day cheering on our runners! We also need parent volunteers to help pass out water and mark laps. If you would like to help, go to this Sign Up Genius link to volunteer:
4. 2015-2016 Directory Notice: This year, the Pocopson PTO will be providing a UCFSD directory, free of charge, to each family in our school. PLEASE make sure you enter your information through Parent Portal to make sure your family is included in the directory. Additional copies may be ordered if you'd like more than one. See the communications packet for the order form. Remember you ONLY need to fill out the form if you need more than the copy provided by the PTO.
If you would like to be included in the directory this year, you MUST fill out the google form below:
Directions for Inclusion in Directory - must be done by Sept 16 deadline
Click on the link below, enter family information and click submit.
5. Is your child outgrowing their red Pocopson t-shirt? PTO representatives will be in the front lobby, outside the main office, from 6:45-7:30 tomorrow night during Back to School Night with t-shirts available for purchase. Shirts are $5 each and cash or check will be accepted.
6. Your Child's Class Needs a Homeroom Parent! If you are interested in being a Homeroom Parent, please email your name, child's name and child's teacher/grade to Nicole Sypherd at firstname.lastname@example.org by Thursday, September 10th. A lottery will determine selection of 2 homeroom parents per classroom. For more information on the responsibilities of a homeroom parent, please see the flyer in the Weekly Communications Packet.
7. Family Outdoor Movie Night is Friday, September 25th at 7:00 pm. Bring a blanket or chair and join us for this special family event. Movie TBD. We will have have water and snacks available for purchase. In case of rain, we will move event indoors.
8. PES Art In Action needs parent volunteers!!!! ART IN ACTION 2016 is right around the corner....stay tuned!
What is Art in Action? AIA is a parent-facilitated incremental Art-Enrichment Course that is exclusive to grades k-5 in the UCFSD. A great majority of the Permanent Art Collection in PES was created by students through Art in Action. The course evolves over two consecutive art classes.
Volunteers need not have an art background, just the skill set to guide the students and the desire to be a presence in your child's class!
PROGRAM DATES: November 2-18, 2015. Stay tuned for sign up genius.
THE PROGRAM RUNS IN TWO CYCLES, BOTH CYCLES TAKE PLACE DURING ART CLASS IN THE ART ROOM.
• CYCLE ONE: SLIDE SHOW PRESENTATION - (2) SLIDE SHOW PRESENTERS NEEDED FOR EACH CLASS. The presentation is already created and the facilitators objective is simply to engage the class with open ended questions.
• CYCLE TWO: HANDS ON PROJECT (6) VOLUNTEERS NEEDED FOR EACH CLASS. Volunteers will 'guide' the student through the project.
***dates subject to change due to field trips or incremental weather.
Art in Action Trainings for parent volunteers will be scheduled. Stay tuned for dates. We will quickly review the information, pass out binders, and demonstrate the project. If you are not able to attend, please contact email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org for info pack.
***As a reminder, please do not write in binders and leave binders with Mrs. Hage in the Art Room when presenting is completed.
9. Science Explorers After-School Science Club at Pocopson Elementary for Grades 1-5:
The first club of the school year is set to begin on September 29th!! Science Club will meet on Tuesdays in Pocopson Elementary's Science Lab after school from 3:30 to 4:30 and is available to students in 1st to 5th grade. The first club topic is MIX IT UP: We've picked our top 3 favorite hands-on science activities for this special 3-session club to celebrate our 15th Anniversary! This is a great program to try if you've never participated in Science Explorers before, or if you want to experience some favorites, this is for you! We'll take some chemistry, throw in little creativity, and mix in tons of fun! Create our ever popular foaming "Matter Monster", build your own motorized invention, and make groovy lava lamp test tubes!
Club topics later in the year include Abracadabra, Burps/Belches/Bad Breath, Freaky Physics, Secrets of Ancient Egypt and Is There a Doctor in the House. Please visit www.scienceexplorers.com and click on After-school clubs for more information on club dates, cost or to register your child. Class size is limited to 20 students per club...so, please register early to guarantee your child a spot.
Please contact Jill Shinn at email@example.com or 609.315.6492 with any questions.
News: Sports & Miscellaneous
1. UHS Field Hockey Clinic - Saturday, September 12th: The UHS Field Hockey Clinic will be held on Saturday, September 12th. Join the Unionville High School field hockey teams and coaches to build your skills for the season. The clinic is for Grades 1 through 8 and will be held at the Unionville High School Stadium from 9AM - 12PM (8:30AM Check-In). The cost is $25.00 per player and includes a t-shirt if registered by September 1. Registration will be accepted after September 1 and at the door although t-shirt sizes and availability will be limited and will not be guaranteed.
Click here for an informational flyer and registration form. Sign up today!
2. If you want to add information to our Around Our School communications, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. For Community News, please watch for the UCF This Week emails. The Community Bulletin Board is also linked on our PES Home Page.
Unionville-Chadds Ford School District would like to continue connecting with you via email. If you prefer to be removed from our list, please contact Unionville-Chadds Ford School District directly. To stop receiving all email messages distributed through our SchoolMessenger service, follow this link and confirm: Unsubscribe
SchoolMessenger is a notification service used by the nation's leading school systems to connect with parents, students and staff through voice, SMS text, email, and social media.